We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Making most of our time in Cairo

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
190 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Making most of our time in Cairo

Hello everyone - As this forum pointed out to me, we will be in Egypt during Ramadan. Hence most of the sites we want to see will be closing early. Does anyone have suggestions on how to make the most of our days? Are there things we can see after the museums/pyramids close?

Also, we have four days available in Cairo. One is pyramids, two is Cairo city (and museum), three is Alexandria. Any suggestions for our fourth day? Would a felucca ride down the Nile show us anything neat (and can we sunbathe on the boat)? For some reason I see the temples in Luxor and really feel like we are missing alot so I get the urge to try and shove in Luxor (another part of me thinks I'm nuts). And my husband keeps thinking a day trip to the Red Sea for snorkeling would be cool (but again a small part of me thinks this would be crazy).

This is our first (and may be our last for a long time) trip so I really want to make the most of it.

Thanks a million everyone! I can't tell you how much everyone has helped already.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,319 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Making most of our time in Cairo

I don't usually advocate these very rushed day trips but I think if you only have four days in Egypt and no prospect of returning, it would be crazy not to see Luxor. For me, it would come way ahead of Alexandria.

I would get a private tour and get myself whisked round the major sights in comfort. Do include the museum as it is spectacular.

I'm sure the Red Sea is great but snorkelling is available all over the world and you could do some any time. The sights in Luxor are unique.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
190 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Making most of our time in Cairo

Thank you for your input varity1. This is actually our first short trip as I agree with you - the short ones do not make for relaxing and in-depth visitations. However, this was a last-minute trip - we got a great deal on the tickets so it was a now or never type deal.

Thanks again!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Making most of our time in Cairo

I don't recommend day trips to Luxor or the Red Sea. It will be too hectic. Save something for next time.

Check that posts and all the links in it and you will find that you could do loads of things in Cairo during Ramadan.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294201-i9404-k794…

A day trip to Alexandria is a good idea. Better go there by train and rent a car with a driver there. Don't forget to take Ramadan times into account while planning. There are the catacombs, the Roman Theater, El Morsy mosque, the Library, the Citadel, El Montazah Park, El Raml station and the surrounding down town, Stanly Bridge and the old markets of Mansheya to see. You must have also a good sea food meal and enjoy one of the cafes on the Sea Side.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Making most of our time in Cairo

Read those too:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294201-i9404-k743…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294201-i9404-k790…

5. Re: Making most of our time in Cairo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 pm, August 19, 2009