We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare just jumped $250--should we wait to book?

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Airfare just jumped $250--should we wait to book?

My daughter-in-law just called to let me know the best dates we can travel to Cairo from Phoenix, Arizona (USA) which would be March 5th-15th. I've been tracking airfares for several weeks and was shocked to find that the flight with the shortest flight time (British Airways) jumped $250 from yesterday to $1200 or more (depending on who I book the flight with) and with BA's website showing a cost of $1354. There are cheaper flights with not extremely long layovers that have 2 stops vs. BA's one stop in London but have the return flight leaving Cairo at 3 am which doesn't appeal to me at all.Should I wait a while longer and pray that BA's prices drop again?

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
London
London
England, UK
Essex
Level Contributor
838 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfare just jumped $250--should we wait to book?

Do a search with an airfare finder, go to google and do a search.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
13,189 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfare just jumped $250--should we wait to book?

Praying sounds rather ineffective to me. Flights to holiday resorts in Egypt have been significantly reduced recently so I suppose for those people who do want to go there, more of them are having to fly into Cairo and change. That is certainly the case with people on the Luxor forum.

Also March sounds like the European school holidays/ anyway a good time of year, so in the absence of any further unrest I would expect demand to increase than than decrease.

Have you looked at flying into Paris or Rome and from there to Cairo?

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfare just jumped $250--should we wait to book?

As Verity suggests, connecting flights are often a good way to go.

Have a look at the various airline alliances & it may be possible to find a cheaper alternative to BA - Star Alliance, for example includes both United & Turkish Airlines amongst its members & the latter can often provide very good fares, from alliance hubs.

(In the interest of impartiality, Delta can link you to Air France, via Charles de Gaulle, but One World will only really give you the options of AA and BA.)

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfare just jumped $250--should we wait to book?

I looked up Star Alliance and the website made no sense at all. I just want to see the cheapest fares Phoenix-Cairo for the days I want (3/4 or 3/5 returning 3/15) without a long layover or 3 am departures. If anyone can help me I'd appreciate it.

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfare just jumped $250--should we wait to book?

You may try searching on hipmunk, where you can sort by duration. The shorter duration, the shorter the layovers. A quick search on your dates pulls up an airfare returning from Cairo, leaving at 9:00ish am, with a max of 2.5 hour layovers, for $1300. Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
6. Re: Airfare just jumped $250--should we wait to book?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 20, 2015