We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safe?

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
3 posts
Save Topic
safe?

I am thinking of travelling to Egypt with my daughter, but am concerned that it may not be safe for us, two westerners (women) over there, especially after the bombings recently. Can anyone give me any information regarding how safe it would be for us there, and if we should go there or travel somewhere else. Thanks!

Sophia,Portugal
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: safe?

Hi rornatomato44

I will definetly recommend Egypt .....It is a very safe country and the locals are friendly with a very high sense of hummor..When our media talks about middle esat,they give you a general idea but I have been to mnay Arab countries and I find Egypt is different in terms of safety and Egyptians are more friendly.you and your daughter will be okay there..I am sure you will be happy so do not miss the chance

any further qs please feel free

Thanx

ny
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safe?

We just got back from Egypt last weeks. We spent a week there and felt safe. There are guards everywhere protecting tourists. We had a great time. You should go. We went with Sylvia Tours.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
11,932 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safe?

Egypt feels very safe. It must be as safe as New York or London. As for being two women, to minimise hassle you should dress in loose clothing covering your knees, upper arms and neckline at least. My daughter is 16 and, properly dressed, with her holding my arm, we were hardly troubled at all.

Do go to Egypt, it is wonderful and addictive. They would be delighted to see more US visitors. You can do lots of things yourself without taking expensive prebooked tours and it will be much more fun. There is lots about this on the Luxor and Cairo forums.