We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are Tourist starting to trickle in?

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Level Contributor
92 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Are Tourist starting to trickle in?

There hasn't been much in the press about what's going on in Egypt so I was just wondering if the tourist and the tourist based economy is starting to pick-up. Are there more and more people showing up at the typical sites? Elections are supposed to be held in about two weeks so I suppose people are taking a wait and see attitude.

Tokyo
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Are Tourist starting to trickle in?

During my visit May 1st-8th, very few tourists at the main sites. there was 1 large tour group at the Egyptian Museum but still could walk around it very easily and many rooms completely empty of visitors. Felt very safe and no concerns. Many shops with staff outside trying to bring what few tourists around inside. With a country heavily dependent on tourists it was very clear to see the effects of the downturn.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Are Tourist starting to trickle in?

Here's the latest assessment, by the Ministry of Tourism, via Al Ahram Online:

…ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/3/12/101185/Busine…

Sadly, it appears tourist numbers are down 32% and revenues by 40% on this time last year. Another trend they report is that those who are visiting Egypt are taking shorter breaks, when they do (I'll admit to only having had a weekend break, in Cairo, last year, but that was due to circumstances at work clashing with a bad case of withdrawal symptoms, rather than anything else.).

Finally, it does appear that the biggest drops are in visitors from North America, with the Europeans, Eastern & western, and Arab countries producing the most visitors.

Sad to hear, really.

(BTW. there's a nice photo of Luxor Temple by night in the article header, for those missing that part of the Nile Valley.)

13. Re: Are Tourist starting to trickle in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 15, 2015