We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Cairo to Luxor & then Aswan to Alexandria

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Cairo to Luxor & then Aswan to Alexandria

Hi everyone

I'm traveling to Egypt next month and finally finalized my nile cruise plans. Now I'm trying to iron out my transportation from Cairo to Luxor. I've read online that the fares can differ. So far seat 61 seems the most accurate. Any experience with this?

I'll be traveling alone and I'm trying to figure out if I want the deluxe sleeper train or if I want just a seat on the overnight train... Any experience here? I'm looking to save money in as many places as I can so I can possibly extend my trip.

Would it be wise to purchase my tickets right now or could I wait til I arrive in Cairo? Is it secure to buy them on the e7gezly website? I don't see the second option of just a seat on the train as opposed to the deluxe cabin?

I would love some insight :).

Thanks everyone

australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Train from Cairo to Luxor & then Aswan to Alexandria

Although some say otherwise, catch the early DAY time train & take a good lunch pack + drinks with you, hot Teas served on train also. [something ALSO to share WITH OTHER[S] you may meet, like extra pack of biscuits or dates]

The reason I did it this way is that you virtually see & follow the whole of the length of the Nile,I went to Aswan then train back to Luxor. You meet/share tea with nice locals, see much like security men very discreetly allow/disallow certain persons on/off train, most of all seeing all the stations & trains with all the peoples as you pass through, then the amount of historical things that eventuated over a huge time period on either bank of Nile, from quarries to shrines to graves to temples!

Book a few days before either through hotel or best go to station, even if you ask hotel to give you a note on what/where train you require - that way you get to know station & platform thus on the day do @ your leasure!

DOUBLE, DOUBLE, CHECK YOU NOT ONLY GET - BOOK A TICKET FOR TRAIN BUT 1 FOR A SEAT ALSO?

If going back by train from Luxor or Aswan or any southern station, ensure you can pass your need onto who ever @ station [or a note of explanation] as parts of Egypt are not tourist minded or in some cases not helpful.

australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Train from Cairo to Luxor & then Aswan to Alexandria

Although some say otherwise, catch the early DAY time train & take a good lunch pack + drinks with you, hot Teas served on train also. [something ALSO to share WITH OTHER[S] you may meet, like extra pack of biscuits or dates]

The reason I did it this way is that you virtually see & follow the whole of the length of the Nile,I went to Aswan then train back to Luxor. You meet/share tea with nice locals, see much like security men very discreetly allow/disallow certain persons on/off train, most of all seeing all the stations & trains with all the peoples as you pass through, then the amount of historical things that eventuated over a huge time period on either bank of Nile, from quarries to shrines to graves to temples!

Book a few days before either through hotel or best go to station, even if you ask hotel to give you a note on what/where train you require - that way you get to know station & platform thus on the day do @ your leasure!

DOUBLE, DOUBLE, CHECK YOU NOT ONLY GET - BOOK A TICKET FOR TRAIN BUT 1 FOR A SEAT ALSO?

If going back by train from Luxor or Aswan or any southern station, ensure you can pass your need onto who ever @ station [or a note of explanation] as parts of Egypt are not tourist minded or in some cases not helpful.

Lastly airfare V night train was cheaper a few years ago. In fact many flights are cheaper within, then consider - train - the time taken, extra food drink, transport to & from stations > you DO see more.

With regards flights - you are already IN Egypt so that must be your address [hotel before or after]. Either book before or @ Air Egypt desk -some times cheaper especially on empty flights or on the day - but check with desk before hand about reserving or turning up on the day.

23. Re: Train from Cairo to Luxor & then Aswan to Alexandria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 04, 2015