We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairo airport transit

Proctorville, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cairo airport transit

I will be transiting through Cairo international airport in July from New York to Nairobi. I have about an 8 hour layover. Does terminal 3 have WI Fi? And, are there public access points where I charge my laptop?

What’s the food situation like in terminal 3? Any good restaurants? Are they pricy?

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairo airport transit

Hi Richard,

There's wifi, but it's not always working. Plugs are not a problem. A few restaurants and little snack bar lounges. Overall terminal three is pretty nice- neither fantastic nor terrible.

Pleasant travels.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairo airport transit

Richard A....you certainly have enough time to see a little of Cairo with an eight hour layover, assuming you arrive during daylight hours? If you haven't already been to Cairo before, please don't miss this opportunity to at least go see the Pyramids and maybe Egyptian Museum? You can hire a guide/driver for VERY little money, or just a taxi.....would be such a shame not to do it, is so easy.

Proctorville, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairo airport transit

That's a good idea, thanks. However, I am concerned about security. I have seen flashes of demonstrations and suicide bomb explosions in Cairo on TV, a deterrent for me to venture into the city. I wonder what the overall security situation is like on the ground in Cairo. Is it safe to visit the pyramids and the museum given the prevailing circumstances?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairo airport transit

In my opinion, yes it IS safe, though I do understand people being nervous after hearing of the recent trouble. In saying that, life goes on as per normal in Cairo, and tourists are still visiting.

The pyramids are a fair way out from downtown Cairo and to be honest, I do not see anyone looking to destroy or harm these structures anytime soon :-) The Egyptian Museum is near Tahiri Square, but all is quiet on the homefront these days, and the Museum itself is heavily guarded with army tanks and personnel.... Not much chance of anyone getting into trouble there either :-)

The recent trouble was political, away from main tourist attractions/areas, and aimed at police not tourists. I personally feel that you are HIGHLY unlikely to encounter/witness any trouble in your short layover, particularly if you were at least only going to visit the pyramids. I would suggest at least doing that.... You won't regret it.

Organize yourself a driver before you arrive to pick you up at airport, go to the pyramids via the ring road which bypasses Cairo downtown completely, and you will have a blast.... Excuse the pun :-)

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairo airport transit

how long does it take to do the pyramid tour? I have a 6 hr layover in cairo during the daytime

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cairo airport transit

What time, what day of the week? Same airline on both flights so you'll have boarding pass in hand?

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cairo airport transit

it will be monday - I land at 11am and my next flight to Hurghada is at 5pm. I can try and take a later flight if Ecypt air will allow me to change.

yes same airline Egypt Air

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cairo airport transit

Dev538....organise a driver to meet you at Cairo airport, is cheap, spend around two hours at the pyramids and Sphinx, then back to the airport. You have time.....don't miss it:-)

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cairo airport transit

I don't know...that's really close...

If all went smoothly you could make it out of the airport and to the Pyramids by 12:30 or 1pm. Then if you're comfortable with a 4pm arrival back at the airport, you really need to start the trip back at like 2:30...might not take that long at all but you never know...getting to the airport in the afternoon can be very slow going.

So maybe 1-2 hours at the Pyramids? If you want to do it and don't foresee yourself returning to Cairo, and you think it will be enjoyable without looking at your watch the whole time....sure, why not. Agree with unone that a pre-arranged driver or guide would be the way to go.

Egyptair is fairly flexible/affordable on changing flights, so you might want to check- there are several more Hurghada departures later in the evening.

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cairo airport transit

thank you all for your feedback..really appreciate it :)