We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairo, 2 days and 1 night

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
168 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Cairo, 2 days and 1 night

Good morning,

I arrive in Cairo very early in the morning and leave late in the next day so I have two full days in Cairo. I wanted to see the Egyptian Museum, Coptic Cairo, Islamic Cairo and the Khan Khalili Bazaar in my first day. Second day I wanted to see the pyramids of Giza and Sphinx, then Sakkara and Dahshur and end my day in Memphis before I would get back to the airport.

If I would hire a driver/English speaking guide to be with me both days, how much would you say is a fair price? Nothing included, just hire a driver to get me to these places.

Thank you. Kind regards

Mentioned in this post
Dahshur
Dahshur
629 Reviews
Cairo, Egypt
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairo, 2 days and 1 night

''If I would hire a driver/English speaking guide to be with me both days, how much would you say is a fair price? Nothing included, just hire a driver to get me to these places.''........

So are you you looking for a DRIVER or a DRIVER/GUIDE?? Bit of a difference between the two.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
168 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairo, 2 days and 1 night

Sorry, I was not clear enough. I'm looking for a driver/guide.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairo, 2 days and 1 night

You can check online to see whether it is better for you to book the whole tour or just a guide and a driver

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairo, 2 days and 1 night

So mokh e... what would you call a ''whole tour''?? Would a whole tour not BE a driver and guide???

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
168 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairo, 2 days and 1 night

Are there someone here who can estimate the price for hiring a driver/guide to get me around the city.

I'm in Cairo for two days and I want to do the basic things, Pyramids, Sphinx, Memphis, Dahshur, Egyptian Museum, Coptic Cairo, Islamic Cairo, Khan el Khalili Bazaar and maybe something else.

Mentioned in this post
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Dahshur
Dahshur
629 Reviews
Cairo, Egypt
West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cairo, 2 days and 1 night

To get an idea of cost that you can use you should contact some guides and discuss what you want to do with your two days. They may have some suggestions on the order of visiting them. You could try finding a guide through the hotel you are staying at or searching the Cairo Forum and contacting them through email. You might consider Skypeing them to see if you are happy with their english.

A guide will help reduce the hassle from the venders at the Pyramids at Giza.

If you have done some reading about the sites you want to visit ahead of time you could visit them on your own with a driver. I did that and it worked well. My opinion is that you should stay away from tour groups as you will loose the flexibility of how much time you can spend at each site.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cairo, 2 days and 1 night

I can give you my thoughts, from my own experiences, which is around $US75 a day for driver and guide, not including entrance fees, to do like Saqara, Dashur, Memphis and Cairo. Some may think this excessive, but you get what you pay for. You can pay for a GOOD experience, or you can pay a few dollars more for a GREAT experience.

Personally? I got more out of having a fully licensed guide than I could EVER have gotten out of a guide book. Egypt is a once in a lifetime experience, I just do NOT understand why people would want to cut corners and negotiate prices for the sake of a few dollars, to be guided and visit sites of one of the oldest civilizations on earth.

Pay the money, help Egyptian tourism in the process, and leave with memories that you will NEVER forget:-)

Happy travels.

Edited: 8:00 pm, January 05, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,170 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cairo, 2 days and 1 night

The myth of the guide persists. If (for convenience or any reason whatsoever) one prefers having a guide, they should by all means hire one. In today’s uncertain times, there are obvious advantages for new visitors and short-term holidaymakers but, if one doesn’t want a guide, it certainly does not mean that they can’t have an enjoyable, safe, informative and enriching trip.

Generally, Egypt’s guides are a personable lot that have convinced any number of people that they are a holiday essential. Many are honest, hardworking and put the interests of their clients first and foremost. Sadly, others see tourists as little more than walking ATMs and a licence isn’t always the difference.

Many if not most guides are well versed in their subject matter but, contrary to popular opinion, few if any are qualified/professional Egyptologists. Paradoxically, anyone who can tell whether or not their guide actually does know what he/she is talking about probably didn’t need one in the first place.

As for money, $75 for a car and driver doesn’t sound outrageous by today’s first asking prices (I’ve heard worse) but one can certainly get the same thing cheaper. I suggest that the difference between a “good” and “great” Egyptian travel experience isn’t a matter of a few dollars. (“Good” or even “great” guides are often cheaper than the more expensive ones.) Visitors are helping the local economy simply by buying a ticket and going there. They are not a living form of mobile foreign aid for the tourist industry and, if they want, should negotiate prices as they see fit.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cairo, 2 days and 1 night

Once again, IN MY PERSONAL OPINION, when one only has two days/one night to see what the OP wants to see, I certainly would want it to be as interesting and pain-free as possible. I sure as heck do not relish the thought of travelling all the way to Egypt, getting off a plane, experiencing Cairo traffic, then trying to find my way around this crazy city, and getting to Saqara, Dashur and Memphis with person unknown, all in under two days. AND possibly done by taxi, with a driver who no doubt will speak no English, and unable to offer the slightest bit of information or help if and when required. And once I GET to these sites, my trusty guide book will have taught me all I wanted to know and experience of these ancient wonders of the world, all in under two days. Wow! All to save myself fifty bucks! So glad I did that! And I had the added pleasure of fighting off the touts and harassment all by myself:-) What a GREAT experience Cairo has been!

MOST guides who charge the higher dollars, and those who even charge lower, GENERALLY have put in three years study to earn their rights as professional tour guides, so most certainly did not get these certificates out of a cereal box. They have EARNED the right to guide people in their own country, ''if people so desire this service''. This is the point on this thread...the OP has asked the question about a driver/guide. And I am NOT saying that everyone should use a guide, is personal choice, but in two days, to learn SOMETHING, I sure don't recommend doing it the hard way, and it IS hard when you haven't been here before. Some people forget that it is a first time experience for most, we are not all destination experts who have done it all before and find it easy.

And tourism is probably the highest source of income for Egypt, and WITHOUT tour guides, AND buying tickets, this country will simply not survive. What say we do away with the taxi drivers also, they drive tourists around, so maybe don't need them either, and close a few more hotels, plenty for tourists to choose from, and whilst we are at it, we will close a few more restaurants, and shops, and if that doesn't work, we'll close the pyramids also. Now THAT will stop the tour guides from having any chance of ripping off we ''unsuspecting poor westerners''! Let's just close the airport whilst we are at it.

I know I am going to be crucified for this post, but honestly, I am not suggesting tourists provide ''foreign aid or mobile ATM services'' to tour guides, but simply that no matter WHERE you go in Egypt, you will highly likely be met by SOMEONE who will want to harass you, rip you off, sell you something, it goes on and on, but generally, and I say generally, IF YOU DO YOUR HOMEWORK, most guides are good, educated, informative, pleasant people with a WEALTH of knowledge. And I for one have the highest respect for the effort that MOST of them put in to make OUR time in their country as memorable as possible in the shortest given time.

Chose carefully and you will be glad the trusty ''See Egypt in a Day" guide book stayed in your pocket:-)

Let the flack begin! :-)

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cairo, 2 days and 1 night

I don't think you two really disagree on much here.

Definitely something to be said for just the ride alone, especially if going out towards Saqqara/Memphis.

Seems to me that anybody who has managed to stay in business at this point is probably pretty decent...

Mentioned in this post
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee