We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairo, Dec 23rd and 24th. Itinerary help.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
234 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Cairo, Dec 23rd and 24th. Itinerary help.

Hello, we have two full days in Cairo. We would want to visit the following sights:

Dec 23rd: Egyptian Museum, Islamic Cairo and Bazaar

Dec 24th: Memphis, Saqqara, Dashur and Giza Plateau

For Dec 24th, where can we get access to reliable cabs? We are staying at the Ramses Hilton so it might be expensive to book from them. Is it also possible to do all 4 sights in one day? How much will the cab cost?

Is there any other attraction I've left out above.

Thank you for your advise.

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairo, Dec 23rd and 24th. Itinerary help.

I agree with everything Khaled said on your other post- especially don't use the taxis sitting outside the hotel soliciting you. They'll be three times the appropriate price. The Ramses is a little tricky though because you are on a bit of a concrete island- try the corniche side or around the other way past the mall, where the buses are (that will make sense when you get there).

I've never booked a car for a day in Cairo either, and I suspect you'll get wildly different prices, but I'd probably start at 200 LE and pay as much as 400 or so.

UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairo, Dec 23rd and 24th. Itinerary help.

A car for the day can be negotiated for 200 LE (or even less) but it depends how good your negotiation skills are. You might be surprised how little the chauffeured driven limousine services are, especially for two or three people sharing a car. Worth checking with concierge in your hotel (there are also limo companies online). You could walk to The Egyptian Museum from the Hilton then get a taxi to 'Islamic Cairo' and continue to Khan el-Khalili - meaning less time in the taxi.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,484 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairo, Dec 23rd and 24th. Itinerary help.

You can do Giza, Memphis, Dahshur and Sakkara in a day but it will be rushed and, if you want to do more than the minimum, it may be too rushed.

Assuming they are open for touring when you’re there, you can go inside pyramids at Giza, Dahshur and Sakkara. Sakkara has a small museum attached which is/was included in the admission price and well worth a visit. Giza has the Solar Boat Museum (entrance is extra) and again well worth seeing. All or even some of this takes time and even if you skip all of it, you may feel over rushed at large sites such as Sakkara and Giza.

A lot of standard tours do Giza in the morning, the Museum in the afternoon and the bazaar in the early evening. I (and many others) have done Memphis, Sakkara and Dahshur as a day trip. On the last occasion, I hired a taxi for the day and paid something like LE 150 (roughly $22 for the car not per person) and before a tip which the guy more than earned.

As said, taxis outside hotels (especially the 5-stars) will start off quoting silly money because (1) they think you can easily afford it and/or don’t know the score and (2) they have to pay a percentage to the clerk/manager. Walk away (or offer to meet the driver somewhere else) and you will no doubt be followed and offered a lower price. Bargain hard but, if you don’t like what you hear, you will be constantly approached by passing taxi drivers as you walk along or just about anywhere you stop in the main tourist areas.

Otherwise, as said, car hire can be reasonable and, if you spend a bit more money, you avoid all the hassle of bargaining and arranging everything yourself.

Edited: 6:39 pm, November 11, 2013
Cairo
Level Contributor
393 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairo, Dec 23rd and 24th. Itinerary help.

On 23 you can add Salah El Din Citadel but you will need to start earlier but for 24 I think your schedule is very busy as Dahshur is very far and all The Pyramids, Memphis, sakkara and Dahshur close at 4 pm so you will be in rush so if you skip Dahshur it will be better for you

Miramichi, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairo, Dec 23rd and 24th. Itinerary help.

My family and I spent a couple of days in Cairo this past July, and hired a tour guide, Emad Abuhadeda. (look him up on trip advisor) I have not been following the current political situation lately, however back in July, things were pretty tense, and we were very glad to have a guide to help keep us out of places where tourists should not be. I forget the prices exactly, but it was less than $100USD for the day for our family of four, including an air conditioned van and driver. Well worth the money. Enjoy your trip. Colin W

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
14 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cairo, Dec 23rd and 24th. Itinerary help.

We just returned from Egypt. We used Lady Egypt and they arranged driver and guide and covered what we needed. It was a whirlwind and not what we had originally planned but in one day, we started at 8am and wen to the Citadel, the mosque, the Museum, and then out to Sakkara and lunch and ended at Giza pyramids and Sphinx and back to the Mena hotel. It was a long day but the traffic is crazy and you need to leave time for that. Schedule was supposed to include bazaar and Coptic Cairo but because of the situation, the schedule was adjusted. There is no one at the sites so there is no waiting in line to enter sites or waiting to get up close to exhibits. Enjoy!

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,484 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cairo, Dec 23rd and 24th. Itinerary help.

“…but because of the situation, the schedule was adjusted.”

I suspect the adjustment was more for the operator’s profit/convenience than the “situation”. Of course a whirlwind tour isn’t what you originally wanted/planned but these guys could sell ice to a penguin and make the penguin feel grateful for being singled out for the pitch. For the sake of future visitors, I sincerely hope you got a bit of a refund on what originally should have been a bargain basement price.

8. Re: Cairo, Dec 23rd and 24th. Itinerary help.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, November 21, 2014