We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccinations???

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Vaccinations???

Hi, i am goin to Sharm in Sept for 2 weeks, staying at the Concorde El Salam, can anyone tell me do you need to visit your doctor beforehand for any jags etc?? Some people say you do then other people tell me you don't so i'm quite confused? Thanks!!

blacpool,lancashire
Level Contributor
319 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaccinations???

hi weejeany,

before i went to sharm i went to see my doctor and got an injection,this is the same when you go to cairo,you need protecting against, tythoid,polio,dyptheria,hep a.....i only needeed one injection that was tythoid and hep a combined,when visiting cairo i also got told that you need to take milaria tablets....the best thing to do is go see your doctor and they will tell you exactly what you need.

Laura x :)

Luxor/UK
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaccinations???

Hi Weejeany,

I had all the last post mentioned but there is no need for malaria treatment.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaccinations???

Thanks, this is a great help, will give my doc a wee visit!!

liverpool england
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Vaccinations???

HI WEEJEANYiv kinda got the same problem but its my son hes to young to recive the injections what should i do concerned mum???

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Vaccinations???

Hi Deaconpeter, i would prob visit your doc anyway, see what he says?? Although from some of the topics i have read in this forum there seems to be a lot of people who go and don't bother with any jags etc, and they seem to think it's ok??

Sydney
Level Contributor
886 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vaccinations???

Wee Jeany

I had all the necessary ones - typhoid, hep A and B. Did not take malaria tablets but was aware to use repellent in the evenings.

Hep. A & B are useful anywhere. particularly as food handling standards are not as good as previously.

However, the main thing I would take is some Aquim. It is a product which I am sure you can obtain from Boots. You are able to wash your hands with it WITHOUT water - you only use a little at a time. I could give you no better advice than to wash your hands many, many, many times a day. With this precaution I was the only one on our tour of 14 people who did not get sick. You must remember that Egypt is a third world country and standards are not as high as perhaps they could be. Even the money is quite greasy. Of course, do not ever drink the water or have ice cubes in your drinks. Do not accept an opened bottle of any drink.

Apart from that I thought Egypt was absolutely wonderful and my holiday there and in Jordan was the best ever.

Write back if you need further information. I did not however, go to Sharm as living in Australia I did not wish to go to a beach area.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Vaccinations???

Hi Studioworks

Thanks, i will remember to pick up some aqium when i go shopping when i go for my toiletries. I also have an appointment made with the doc for my jags.

Thanks for all your advice.

WeeJeany

Sydney
Level Contributor
886 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vaccinations???

WJ

Would love to hear how your trip went when you return. Set up a new thread with your comments and hopefully I will see it.

I would be interested in how you perceive Egypt coming from your part of the world. I come from Sydney, so...

Good luck and safe travelling.

Vikki

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Vaccinations???

Hi Vikki

I will do, really can't wait, go 31st Aug for 2 weeks, never been anywhere like this before.

Laura

Sydney
Level Contributor
886 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vaccinations???

Wee Jeany

Egypt is very confronting - but oh so very exciting. Cairo traffic - well, I could not adequately describe it. Terrifying! But having said that I did not see one accident while there. Have never been so close to surrounding traffic in all my life. Truly you could barely fit a newspaper between the rows of cars. Masses and masses of people. I think Cairo has the same population as the whole of Australia.

Be very careful when purchasing things in the markets etc. The first price is about six times the REAL price, I discovered. I purchased some beautiful scarves - first price quoted 45 Egyptian pounds (dollars? - can't remember what they were called) and the price I eventually paid was 8. Just haggle and be prepared to walk away.