We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help - very confused about travel info

manchester
Level Contributor
256 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
help - very confused about travel info

hello

iam taking my family to sharm to spend new year there, first time we have been to Egypt however we are very disappointed at not being able to see the pyramids etc however after reading numerous posts on here it seems a lot of people are saying it is safe to go there?

the news reports and government notices are still advising its not safe to travel there so iam very confused. I dont wish to put my family in any danger of course however I also dont want us all to miss out on the fantastic sights the pyramids will offer on the basis of having the wrong advised information.

please help !

thank you

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help - very confused about travel info

Hi,

It sounds like you have a pretty good grasp of the situation....travel advisories remain in place, and there are and will continue to be bad news coming out of Cairo. Opinions differ about general safety. There are certainly a number of incidents one can point to in demonstrating why it's not a good idea to com;, others reply that there are dangers in any megacity and in that respect Cairo is no more dangerous than any other. The first thing many on this forum will tell you to consider is what impacts traveling against FCO advice will have on your insurance cover.

Political and sectarian violence does not generally affect tourists. In my opinion there's no reason why travelers can't come here and enjoy the sites. I'd recommend a guide or at least a hired driver for people without a decent amount of travel experience in the developing world (and really, if you're talking about a day trip from Sharm, it's just easier to have a driver or tour company pick you up and whisk you around rather than doing the taxi thing repeatedly, though that's fine too). I can tell you that life in Cairo is pretty much normal for Egyptians and foreigners alike, though people are certainly weary of the turmoil and wary of the situation now. But I'm just some guy on the internet, so that may or may not seem convincing to you...

In any case, have a lovely trip. If you have more specific questions the forum will try to help.

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
31,997 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help - very confused about travel info

Knighty, if the Foreign Office website says it is inadvisable to travel your insurance won't cover you. You need to read the Terms and conditions on the one you have. So far on here we haven't found an Insurance company that does cover.

This means that if anything happens to you or your family while you are there, even illness or accident, the usual things, you will have arrange treatment & travel and foot the bill yourself. This can be horrendously expensive.

So the risk is up to you. You can go and take the chance.

Edited: 5:10 am, October 21, 2013
La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help - very confused about travel info

I am certain that day trips from Sharm to Cairo are still not running at the moment though somebody may be able to advise otherwise. Maybe they will be in the New Year but if they are not then I think that's a good indication that the tour ops/ tour companies do not think it is advisable to go. Also as sueb says, there is the matter of travel insurance to consider

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help - very confused about travel info

Eh....travel companies exist to turn a profit. If they know that 1) there are relatively few visitors to Sharm, and 2) few of those will travel to Cairo against advice, it doesn't make sense to run the trips. No inside info on the safety situation, and people can just book the flight and guide independently if they so choose.

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help - very confused about travel info

Modesto

Yes of course people can arrange their own trips but they need to be sure their insurance covers them if FCO are still saying avoid Cairo.

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: help - very confused about travel info

I am currently staying in Sharm El Sheikh and will be staying until the 29th. All standard excursions from sharm to cairo by bus and plane are suspended!! However, our hotel rep can organise a private cairo day tour by plane. I was quoted £245 per person. I managed to find a cheaper one than that price and I will be going to Cairo on Friday. I was told that we will be taking egyptair and not the chartered flights, so we will be arriving in Cairo much later than usual. Since it is going to be a private tour, I will insist that we skip the perfume and papyrus shop to spend more time at the pyramids. I will post further developments when I get back from Cairo. I shall be going on a 2 day Jerusalem/Petra excursion tonight so see you all on Wednesday night.

Mentioned in this post
Sharm El Sheikh
Sharm El Sheikh
South Sinai, Egypt
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
46 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help - very confused about travel info

Hi,

I am extremely intrigued how these trips go for you. I am going in Jan & REALLY want to do all the trips your doing. fair play for making them happen, are you doing them with local companies? Let me know how you get on & have a fantastic time !

peter

London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: help - very confused about travel info

Thanks Peter!

I'm new here so I don't know if I am allowed to name names. I booked my trips with a local company. My first trip was the Mt Sinai/St Catherine trip last Friday. Here's a picture:

…wordpress.com/2013/10/dsc08775.jpg

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
10,388 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help - very confused about travel info

knightyManchester

This link might be useful lovemoney.com/news/travel-food-and-lifestyle…

UK companies, for obvious reasons, are not running excursions away from the Red Sea resorts.

If you use a local company and get stranded in Cairo, you would have to pay.

'

master_sagat

Welcome to the forum.

One of the expected behaviours is to keep on topic and, if necessary, start your own one. A read of the Help Centre T' & C's is also useful

One of these is tripadvisor.co.uk/help/what_are_the_guidelin…

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Eureka Springs...
Level Contributor
152 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: help - very confused about travel info

just got back from cairo and luxor last week-- used very good guides in each city, and always felt safe and never alarmed at all about anything. it pretty much seems as though Egypt is going on about its business, in spite of the disruptions, which seem to be very limited geographically, i.e., demonstrations are confined to just a few places...a good guide will know what streets to avoid, and with good common sense you should be absolutely fine.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa