We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Ancient Egypt Museum

España
5 posts
Save Topic
Best Ancient Egypt Museum

What is the best museum about Ancient Egypt in the world, except for the Cairo National Museum?

London, United...
Level Contributor
7,393 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best Ancient Egypt Museum

SP64SP – Obviously, as this one shows.

Javier V – Sorry if I thought you were being frivolous but I suspected some sort of bet or survey and I was half right. Hope the results are not disappointing..

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,488 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best Ancient Egypt Museum

I think Paris and New York are places people find easy to visit ( especially from the UK which is the base of many people on this forum) , and also if you have a partner who is not so keen on Egyptology. Turin is not quite so obvious as a tourist destination perhaps.

However, the Turin museum is stupendous and has exhibits which are quite different from anything else you can see.

España
5 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Best Ancient Egypt Museum

Why is the Turin museum stupendous and how are the exhibits quitte different?

London, United...
Level Contributor
7,393 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best Ancient Egypt Museum

Javier V – Your posts read like an interview; are you perchance planning/researching an article on Turin and/or the Turin Museum?

Edited: 8:27 am, October 08, 2013
España
5 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Best Ancient Egypt Museum

I quote myself:

I was serious actually. I was wondering if the Egypt museum in Turin is among the top Egypt museums in the world. Instead of asking that, I wanted to see how many people would have it as a 'top of mind' Egypt museum.

That's why I'm asking about it. Now could you please consider more constructive posts or just ignore this topic? Appreciated.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,488 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best Ancient Egypt Museum

The museum is very big and has many large statues including the iconic one of Rameses IIwearing the blue crown - one or the five items Zahi Hawass said he wanted to see returned to Egypt.

It has some life size wooden statues which are extremely rare and also the oldest specimens of painted textile in the world.

The newer parts are well lid out with mirrors so you can see the backs of the exhibits.

I also thought the Imhotep museum at Sakkara was very well done. If you are in San Francisco, there is a small but high quality collection at Berkeley. And don't forget Kingston Lacey in Dorset! Not to mention thenAshmolean inOxford!

London, United...
Level Contributor
7,393 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best Ancient Egypt Museum

Javier V – Congrats;a question circumvented with political-grade skill. As there was only one passing mention of the Turin Museum until you yourself introduced it Post 10, I suspect you have your answer but I will now gladly leave this thread to your continuing researches. Good luck.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
625 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Best Ancient Egypt Museum

Well, if Dr. Zahi Hawass had his way, the collections of all of those museums would be returned to Egypt. :)

Look, it is incredibly difficult to compare one museum to another to say which one is better. If you are going to go strictly by the number of artifacts (not a good measure, but what other measures are there), then outside of Egypt the “best” Ancient Egyptian museums would be British Museum in London, Neues Museum in Berlin, Petrie Museum in London, and Louvre in Paris. Egizio in Turin would be seventh. See, for example, …wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_museums_of_Egypt…

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,933 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Best Ancient Egypt Museum

"I was serious actually. I was wondering if the Egypt museum in Turin is among the top Egypt museums in the world."

In that case ..... yes, it is.

Personally, I found it disappointing - some fine individual items but cabinet after cabinet full of unlabelled, undecorated, terracotta pots...

20. Re: Best Ancient Egypt Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, October 10, 2014