We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

curfew and plane at 19.25 Cairo

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Genoa, Italy
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
curfew and plane at 19.25 Cairo

Hi everyone!

i will make a tour with a local guide all over egypt , i will stay in cairo,luxor,aswan and white desert.

i'm with bella luna hotel in talaat harb ,in the downtown...

At the moment i'm monitoring the situation and i have friends there who told me that aswan is very calm and at the moment also luxor ,even if some days ago horus hotel was setted on fire....

anyway, i will be there from 5th of sept till 17th of september with a layover in istanbul :)

here comes the problem: my flight will reach cairo at 19 ,10 .. the staff of the hotel will come the take us but i'm wondering how can we reach the hotel under the curfew?

please answer me :)

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: curfew and plane at 19.25 Cairo

You just show your passport and flight ticket or boarding pass at the checkpoints. Had a coworker arrive at 9pm last night and it was not a problem for her to get home. Well, it's a hassle. But it's doable. Also, I could of course be completely wrong but I suspect that the curfew will not hold into September. It's loosening some now and just so un-Cairo.

Edited: 8:48 am, August 21, 2013
Genoa, Italy
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: curfew and plane at 19.25 Cairo

i'm thinking the same thing, a lot of people that i know told me that seeing the streets totally empty at night,without the usal mass of people all around is very un-cairo...hope that this will end soon cause a lot of people can't work or open their cafè and bars....

Ok,you mentioned the passport, i have the ID card with the pictures that i will have to give at the arrive at the airport, on the site viaggiare-sicuri (travel in safe) there's written that i can enter in egypt showing just the id card for tourism :) do you think that the situation has changed those things? p.s italian turists can enter in the in egypt with id card since a lot of years ...hope that there are no changes because of the situation

thank you so much for the super fast answer!!

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: curfew and plane at 19.25 Cairo

Sure, but sorry I don't know about the Italian ID cards. I don't have any reason to believe that any immigration rules have changed (except for Syrians), and haven't seen any news about changes, so I think you're fine to get in and showing that ID at checkpoints if you have to.

Genoa, Italy
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: curfew and plane at 19.25 Cairo

ok :)!! thank you so much for the answer :)!can i ask you if you know if the egyptian museum is open again or not?

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: curfew and plane at 19.25 Cairo

Unsure. This is the last thing I have seen or can find, closed from last weekend.

egyptindependent.com/news/egyptian-museum-py…

Genoa, Italy
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: curfew and plane at 19.25 Cairo

i also seen this news...mmm hope that when i'll be there it be open...but ,even if it's sad,we all know they are doing a great job closing it because nobody know who can steal or destroy something!

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: curfew and plane at 19.25 Cairo

The museum is still closed, Other sites around Egypt are open.

Genoa, Italy
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: curfew and plane at 19.25 Cairo

ok :) but i saw in a topic that abu simbel is open once a week o.o it's true? o.o

Ampang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: curfew and plane at 19.25 Cairo

How about the pyramid in Giza?! Is still open?!

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: curfew and plane at 19.25 Cairo

The Giza Plateau is open for sure, but can't find any confirmation on whether Abu Simbel is open or not. I doubt it is closed, since a couple of days ago the tourist minister said that all tourist locations around the country are open except the museum in Cairo.