We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting the Pyramids and Luxor in the current situation

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
hertfordshire
1 post
Save Topic
Visiting the Pyramids and Luxor in the current situation

Me and my partner are booked to go to Egypt and staying in Sharm for two weeks at the beginning of November. I am hoping by then that the situation in Egypt will be fine but has anyone been to visit Cairo and Luxor during the last few months? was it safe? would you recommend doing it? It would be shame to have spent alot of money on the holiday if it turns out that we cannot go on some of the excursions so any advice would be great. thanks

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
2,933 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Visiting the Pyramids and Luxor in the current situation

Pdmlynk, I think they have taken the decision to shut the sites to protect the antiquities rather than a money saving exercise. Copied news article below:-

Egypt's Ministry of State for Antiquities (MSA) has closed all archaeological sites and museums across Egypt, as well as the ministry’s administrative premises.

The decision came in response to violence in Egypt following police attempts to break up Muslim Brotherhood sit-ins at Rabaa Al-Adawiya in Nasr City and Al-Nahda Square in Giza.

Minister of State for Antiquities Mohamed Ibrahim established an emergency operation room to follow up on security measures taken at archaeological sites and museums across the country, in order to protect them from looting or encroachment.

During clashes, pro-Morsi protesters destroyed guard kiosks at the entrance to the National Museum of Alexandria, and at the Malawi National Museum in the Upper Egypt city of El-Minya.

Ibrahim told Ahram Online that both museums are safe, however. "Thank God, nothing happened to the museums themselves," he said.

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Visiting the Pyramids and Luxor in the current situation

I went in July and had a great time, BUT you must understand that the situation will change from day to day. I monitored the news carefully. When it looked as though there was more "analysis" of the situation than reports of events I decided to go. It was wonderful, but you must be very careful. Also, do NOT even think about going out on your own; a guide and driver from a good agency (ie. recommended by major guide books) are essential. Best wishes.

Vancouver, Wn.
Level Contributor
427 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Visiting the Pyramids and Luxor in the current situation

Man a weekago is not much use inlight of what has going on today. It does not take alot of analysis to see this is just short of total chaos.

PP
Level Contributor
67 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Visiting the Pyramids and Luxor in the current situation

Just came back from Luxor. Took the bus in from Hurghada. The trains are still not working so I had to fly to Cairo. Museums are not open and there are almost no tourists. Luxor is really not worth visiting now. There was no problem with protesters. The problem is that if you are the only tourist in town you will be swarmed by people trying to sell you carriage rides, boat rides, etc. and some of them are desperate. Not pleasant. Hurghada (presumably Sharm as well) was fine. Cairo is fine.

15. Re: Visiting the Pyramids and Luxor in the current situation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 03, 2014