We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to go to Cairo in July '13?

New York
11 posts
Save Topic
Safe to go to Cairo in July '13?

Hi,

I am supposed to go to Cairo from July 22-25 and then go to Aswan/Luxor and back to Cairo on the 30th. The US State Department just issued a Travel Warning to Egypt. I am a bit concerned but not sure if I should cancel my trip. Any suggestions? What are others in same situation doing? Thanks!

Level Contributor
9,150 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Safe to go to Cairo in July '13?

Since Lee is in UK I am guessing they are going with Thompson who did the same thing during the first revolution. Since they go to the Red Sea Resorts they consider it safe. Personally I would be nervous in a country with no established government undergoing a "coup". The only way Thompson would cancel is an official notice by the UK government not to travel there. Egypt is a very big money maker for them and the past few years have been very rough.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
22. Re: Safe to go to Cairo in July '13?

Wow we have the same dates and New Yorkers...Same situation here but I'll be heading to Sharm after.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Safe to go to Cairo in July '13?

Now it is calm as no more clashes but from time to time there are some protests closer to Heliopolis area otherwise it is ok and safe, then it s all ok in upper Egypt, Hurghada, Red Sea, Luxor and Aswan

Strasbourg, France
Level Contributor
1 post
78 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Safe to go to Cairo in July '13?

Hi, my daughter lives in le Caire for her work (We are French). There is no point for you to cancel your trip. Just avoid of course Tahir place in Cairo when they demonstrate (sounds obvious). Life is going on anywhere as usual. People there are so happy to welcome tourists because they need to work and earn a living. Best.

25. Re: Safe to go to Cairo in July '13?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, July 19, 2014