We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairo stop over

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cairo stop over

We have a stop over in Cairo in early July landing about 4.30am and leaving at 10pm. Keen to see the pyramids and the main museum. 2 questions - any idea where we can leave 2/3 suitcases? and is this something we can do on our won or should we book with a tour company?

Any input welcomed.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairo stop over

You will have to keep the suitcases with you, unless you book a guide then you can keep it in his/her car. You can do it on you own easily, but again the suitcases can restrict your movement around town.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,422 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairo stop over

Assuming you flights are on schedule, you have the time and (all being well) can do the pyramids and Museum on your own. Cairo Airport, however, apparently doesn’t have a left luggage facility, and, as said, you will have a problem storing your stuff while you are out and about.

Most of the driver/guides you can hire are honest but, if you don’t want to worry about leaving your bags in any old car, I suggest you at least consider spending a little extra money and go through an established travel company. Some web research should be helpful here.

Others will no doubt post suggestions/recommendations but be extra careful when it comes to the small local firms and/or freelance drivers/guides who will leap in to offer their services.

Edited: 1:26 pm, June 10, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairo stop over

You could perhaps just book a cheap hotel for the day and leave your luggage there.. You could then book a driver from the hotel to take you to the pyramids...

Toulouse, France
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairo stop over

Hi sww61,

As mentioned earlier, it will be better to get a driver/guide. He will, not only take care of your luggage, but also he/she will definitely add significant value to your visit without major extra cost.

Send me a private message if you need some recommendations on who to hire.

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairo stop over

I do recommend you to book a tour guide and driver with one reputable Egyptian tour agencies, you can simply and easily google it and contact one of the listed results, or may be contact more than one to have much more offers and pick your suitable one, you wont have to pay more than just 60$ per person for a tour to pyramids and may be egyptian museum or city citadel as well..

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cairo stop over

the suitcase is not a big issue, you can it along with you, about the tour you have to book it as theses places are pretty far from the airport

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cairo stop over

hi, first let me know how many one you are,

1- I like you to enjoy your day as much as you can specially if you are travelling with children,

2- It sound good to feel safe and comfortable from the moment of arrival till departure,

3-you should not get lost in the big city of Cairo,

so i recommend you to book the tour with i good and cheap tour company, they will meet and assist you at the airport upon arrival, take you to the van or the minibus, put your suitcases save in the bus, visit the pyramids in the morning have lunch by the pyramids, drive to down town Cairo to visit the Egyptian museum, after the museum have a boat ride on the Nile river at the sunset then drive back to the Cairo airport,

i think the good price for: pick you up from the airport, visit the pyramids, lunch, visit the museum, the guide, the boat ride on thew Nile and drive you back to the airport is about 100 $ each

including everything.

Enjoy your holiday

Egypt still beautiful.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cairo stop over

There are some travel companies they arrange everything, and ask you to pay at the end after you enjoy the tour and like the service,

If you need some recommendation send a message, may be I can help you?

Enjoy your trip,

Egypt still beautiful.

9. Re: Cairo stop over

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 18, 2014