We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All Day Taxi?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Topic
All Day Taxi?

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if it would be possible to hire a street taxi for the whole day? How much would that usually cost?

Thanks,

Nick

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,413 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All Day Taxi?

Yes it’s possible and very easy, Depending on your bargaining skills, it can cost as little as LE 100 to LE 130. The taxis outside your hotel will usually (but not always) start off with higher first-asking prices because (1) they get the first crack at you and (2) they have to pay a commission to the hotel staff. Walk a couple of blocks from the hotel (taxis are plentiful all over Cairo) or quietly arrange to meet the driver around the corner. If you deal with a metered taxi, be sure it’s turned on and do your best (this of course is very hard for a first time visitor) to see that the driver doesn’t take a round-about route.

Edited: 10:39 pm, June 07, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,413 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All Day Taxi?

I forgot to add that the driver will (at least once) inevitably try to steer you into shops or to markets where he can earn a commission. This problem is common to street taxis and hired tour cars/guides alike. The drivers can be fairly low key about it (they may just pull up in front and suggest you “have a look around”) but, once inside, the sales pitch will get pretty intense. If you don’t want to go in or to buy anything, do not hesitate to say so. The same applies for offers to visit a ‘cousin’s’ shop.

Edited: 11:00 pm, June 07, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: All Day Taxi?

Thank you!! Is it easy to negotiate though? My Arabic is very limited.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,413 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All Day Taxi?

It’s easy to negotiate but not always easy to get the price you want. Even if they sometimes pretend not to, just about all the drivers know enough basic English (especially the relevant numbers) to bargain fares with people (like me) whose Arabic is not only limited but non-existent.

Before starting your tour, always agree the fare, the number of passengers and the currency. Pay at the end and agree whether the tip is included. Whether you pay a further tip or not (one will be expected and ‘suggested’) is up to you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
54 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All Day Taxi?

Hi, My husband and I are traveling in Cairo now ( arrived here 3 days ago) and finding that almost anyone you find on the street will try to take your money for anything they can do. We were very surprised by this as well because we did not really believe what others dais on the forum before we book a flight to Cairo.

What we decided to do was to hire someone we felt comfortable with. (within one day we got few names starting from the airport) We met a great tour guide at the Egyptian Museum. We paid him to take us around and explain everything about all the sight seeing. He took us to some great local tea shop and fantastic restaurant for the best lamb we ever had.

Good luck and hope you have fun!

austin,mn
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All Day Taxi?

How much did you pay for them to take you around for the day and about how many hrs. per day? We are arriving on June 12 and want to do the same thing.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: All Day Taxi?

I recommend you to use the white taxi with meter, not the black and white old taxi,

also make sure it has A/C this is very very important in Cairo in summer,

negotiate the price before not after, tell the driver how many hours you need him,

i think is good price is around 150 LE ( Egyptian pounds )

Enjoy your holiday

Egypt still beautiful

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,413 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All Day Taxi?

“...negotiate the price before not after..."

If you’re going to (quite rightly) negotiate the hours and price beforehand what’s the point of getting a taxi with a meter?

Australia
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All Day Taxi?

Beckett, I think he was recommending the white taxis for the air-con and a more "comfortable" ride in June?

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,413 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All Day Taxi?

Maybe but that’s not the way it reads. He recommends the metered taxi and then suggests making sure that it “also” has air conditioning.