We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairo or Luxor?

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Altrincham, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Cairo or Luxor?

Me and my boyfriend are wanting to fly to either Cairo or Luxor when we visit Sharm in July. He is not sure which one he wants to go to and I am not fussed either way. We would do both but there are other excursions we want to do and they are coming well over £700 each lol. So if anyone has any views on which one is nicer and which one they prefer then that would be great. I have read on some forums that Cairo is a dump and you can see KFC etc by the pyramids. Not exactly what I want to spend good money on lol any advice given will be much appreciated. Thanks :)

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairo or Luxor?

you can come from sharm el sheikh for an over day or even fly to Cairo, there are flights from sharm to Luxor as well

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
8,077 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairo or Luxor?

Ankhtoursegypt, I think the OP is talking about doing a one day excursion from Sharm.

Cairo is a "dump" as in dirty, polluted, horrendous traffic etc but Luxor town may also be disappointing to you as it is also dirty, smelly on a smaller scale. There is a Mc Donalds visible from Luxor Temple too.

Chloe, I think you will have to make the decision for yourself, most people base their decision on what they want to see as in pyramids/Museum or VOK's/Karnak etc

Have you been to Sharm before? If you are a repeat visitor, do one this time and one next time. Personally I don't get the "one day" tour as it would not scratch the surface of either place but you will either love or hate Cairo and Luxor as they are nothing like Sharm, IMO that is a good thing.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
8,077 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairo or Luxor?

Just had a thought, why not ask this on the Sharm forum? You will find more people that have done the one day excursion from there and how good/bad it was:)

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,418 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairo or Luxor?

I agree with Nefertari about Sharm. Sharm is somewhere I go, to get on a dive boat lol!!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,776 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairo or Luxor?

Personally, if the choice is between one or the other, I’d pick Cairo but it’s a close call and, if you aren’t “fussed either way”, why not flip a coin or give both a miss and spend the day on the beach.

Cairo may or may not be a “dump” but you are going there to see the archaeological sites, not the urban sprawl that now surrounds them. The pyramid plateau is large, as ancient as it ever was and (at least so far) fast food free. Besides on a day’s tour from Sharm, you will be herded from place to place so quickly that there won’t be much time for anything else.

Edited: 10:57 pm, June 06, 2013
Cairo, Egypt
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cairo or Luxor?

Luxor is too hot at July :) so I would advice visiting Cairo , by booking a flight or a bus .

I recommend a visit to Giza Pyramids at early morning ,

afternoon visiting the Egyptian Museum ,

then a Boat ride at the Charming Nile river

I believe that would be a will schedule trip for a Day Tour purpose at Cairo ...

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
623 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cairo or Luxor?

who said that all places worth to visit must be a piece of paradise ? then the list is very long . Some places have their own spirit even if they are not so clean and organized . that's why people visit India and Nepal . for the spirit of the place . when I visited Cairo I had many troubles and many hard times . the smoke , dirty air , poverty ...... etc . but in my flight back from Cairo I remembered something the Egyptians usually say "You drink once from the Nile and surely you will come back again" . GOD it is right ! Despite all inconveniences you see and you face in Cairo you surely will love it . The culture , the antiquities , the ambience is unique . Not anywhere else in the world you will see a place like Khan Khalili . In other countries you see attractions . In cairo you see attractions and you feel the joy . Luxor is the grandeur of Egypt , where you fall in love with ancient antiquiites and you enjouy beautiful scenes in Nile cruises .

you must do it both . Cairo and Luxor . but regarding the current critical situation in Cairo these days , maybe you must choose Luxor this time . And since you will drink from the Nile , you will come back one day . that day would be to Cairo . I am sure

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cairo or Luxor?

Hi, you shouldn't come to Egypt without visiting the museum and the pyramids, they are worth to visit,

you can do this either by plane around 130 to 150 sterling pounds each person, or you can do it by bus around 40 sterling pounds, including lunch and everything.

Have a great holiday

Egypt still beautiful.

9. Re: Cairo or Luxor?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 18, 2014