We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National shortage of typhoid vaccine

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
National shortage of typhoid vaccine

Hi guys!

Next week I am leaving on a 5 week trip starting in Italy and ending in Dubai.

The last 12 days will be spent in Jordan, Amman, Cairo, Petra and South Sinai.

I don't plan on having any meals outside the hotel (and even then will opt for the safest choices) and I will be bringing packaged supplies for breakfast and dinners, drinking only bottled water, teeth cleaning with bottled etc. also got plenty of 72% alcohol sanitiser packed.

There is currently a national shortage of typhoid vaccine and a one week wait for the oral - which means I won't have time to take the course.

Should I push out the trip an extra week to allow time for the oral vax or is the risk not terribly huge based on the places I'll visit and food plans?

Thank you in advance for any shared opinions xx

Edited: 12:02 am, June 02, 2013
Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: National shortage of typhoid vaccine

As I always like to remind people, the vaccine only gives about 50-60% protection. Taking preventive measures like the ones you mentioned is more than enough.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: National shortage of typhoid vaccine

I have travelled to Egypt, Jordan and Kenya, Thailand and Malaysia.. Ive never had a typhoid needle because of a bad reaction from one as as a child.. I would say tho to make sure you have a tetanus and hep A... ..

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,519 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: National shortage of typhoid vaccine

The trouble is Khaledmh, if the op doesn't have ALL the recommended jabs, then they get an illness that these may have prevented, then their insurance will be invalid.

Chris J, only a doctor can advise on this.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: National shortage of typhoid vaccine

My insurance doesn't require typhoid and I am up to with absolutely everything else :)

I'm more worried about the actual threat of typhoid with precautions in place.

My GP was of no help. If the vaccine is on a shortage there isn't much more they can offer.

I wasn't aware of the vaccine issue and was up to date with everything else so was happy to wait til just before leaving to get it done.

Another drawback is the 50-60% efficacy. I think I'd be asking the same questions about preventing typhoid and its actual risk even if I were vaccinated

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: National shortage of typhoid vaccine

I didn't mean that he shouldn't take it. If I was in the same position, I will take it too regardless of the insurance. What I wanted the OP to realize, is that the vaccine is not enough and that taking precautions is more important.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: National shortage of typhoid vaccine

Very helpful Khaledmh.

Which foods from the hotel would be the safest options?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: National shortage of typhoid vaccine

Also, how accessible are grocery stores? Just considering how much to take from here

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: National shortage of typhoid vaccine

Its not about the type of food, but the person who is preparing it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: National shortage of typhoid vaccine

So best to self cater all meals?

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: National shortage of typhoid vaccine

No, just don't eat from shady restaurants, its not like you are the only one eating from the Hotel.