We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New info Cairo - Edfu 86 train, Nile cruise Aug, hotel Marsa

California
Level Contributor
114 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
New info Cairo - Edfu 86 train, Nile cruise Aug, hotel Marsa

Hi!!!!

I am going nuts trying to iron some details of our family's trip.

Any help is greatly appreciated....

1. Sleeper train Cairo- Edfu

i have read seat 61.

Does anyone has the most updated news on sleeper train Cairo-Edfu/Luxor? i kept looking online but it seems 86 (depart from Cairo/ Ramses) is still not available and to take 84 or 85 from Giza. Is this still true or has things change on 86? i am traveling in summer, during ramadan days.

I have two young ones- 3 and 5 yrs - should i consider the train out of Giza anyway (heard its more user friendly, with less steps and smaller to navigate??)

I will take the train same day i arrive Cairo airport. how much should i pay the taxi to take my family of 5 (3 adults and 2 kids) to either the Giza train station or the Cairo/Ramses station? how long will it take?

Our destination is Marsa Alam but there is only one flight a day on Egypt Air, which does not connect well with my arrival flight; thus considering overnight train. should i be prebooking my transfer from Edfu to Marsa Alam or is it easy to find a taxi or transport company who will take me to marsa alam? what is the cost and time like?

2. Nile cruise or not?

we are on a diving holiday but since we are in the luxor/aswan area, i was considering do the nile cruise plus the sights. worried if this is fine with the kids... i know heat will be up to 100F/40+deg c or higher... wondering if this will kill the fun of touring? will it be a overkill for the kids to bear? any other families have done this with young kids in the summer period could comment pls?

anyone heard of the MV Mirage ? any comments?

3. hotel recommendation for diving and snokeling

so many TA reviews on Marsa Alam hotels with high ratings. at the same time, i doubt many as they have terribly low numbers on authors' postings / seem like plenty of one-time post for 5 star reviews.

we are probably going to dive with emperors divers again. just need a good referral on hotels pls.

Edited: 8:51 pm, May 27, 2013
Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New info Cairo - Edfu 86 train, Nile cruise Aug, hotel Marsa

To take any train you should start from Giza station cos Ramsses Cairo is a mess, to take a taxi from the airport to Giza station it is about 150 le.

about Marsa Alam you gotta arrange with a travel agency cos it is not available easily.

Nile cruise will be amazing but only a few sights will be too hot so if you start too early in the morning around 5.00 am and finish it all max 11.00 pm will be nice, you can avoid visiting some of them and not going out.

About Marsa Alam it is all nice as it is untouched area so their hotels are very good.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New info Cairo - Edfu 86 train, Nile cruise Aug, hotel Marsa

The sleeping trains in Egypt are operated by "Watania Sleeping Train Company". I never heard that the 86 train is not available, so I just called them (got their number from their websites: wataniasleepingtrains.com/Watania/Home.html

http://e7gezly.com/sleepingtrains/

According to the C.S, they try not to accept reservations from Foreigners on the 86 because its mainly a locals train and they try to avoid the hassle that can result from it. also, if you still want to board it, you can make your online reservation normally and select Giza and you can still go on board from Ramses station.

They said the 84 is much more comfortable and cleaner and they highly recommended it over the 86.

Regarding transportations from the airport to Ramses and Giza stations, to Ramses station (it will cost between 50 to 80 pounds and takes around an hour/hour and half), to Giza station (costs between 70 to 100 pounds and takes almost double the time to Ramses station). The time and cost depends on the date and time of day.

Hopefully someone can help with the rest of your questions.

Edited: 5:40 am, May 28, 2013
California
Level Contributor
114 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New info Cairo - Edfu 86 train, Nile cruise Aug, hotel Marsa

Ankhtourseqgypt, do you mean finish by 11 am? Thanks for the note n nile cruise. I think we'll go for it. In fact, we like to add Abu simbel to the trip. Will it be better to fly to Abu simbel from Aswan?

My itinery is diving in marsa alam first,then go to Aswan to catch the cruise. Does it make sense to arrive a day early, so I can wake up early next morning to do Abu simbel, then board the cruise Aswan- Luxor?

Khaledmh, thank you so much for the train info! Your recommendation on taking 84 solves my dilemma. I am hoping yo catch the 8pm train. My flight arrives Cairo at about 3.45pm. So, with all that time in between and luggages n 2 kids, what can I do to kill time? Should I try to avoid taxi to the train station Giza at least an hour before the train leaves?

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New info Cairo - Edfu 86 train, Nile cruise Aug, hotel Marsa

The is no much free time as you are thinking as you are arriving in the rush hours and the taxi trip from the airport to the Giza station can take around two hours. If you arrived at 4:45 you might be out of the terminal by 5:30, so you have to go as fast as you can to the train station

California
Level Contributor
114 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New info Cairo - Edfu 86 train, Nile cruise Aug, hotel Marsa

I double check- my flight arrives 1.45pm. With the formalities, I would be out of airport by 3 plus pm?

If i go direct from airport to Giza station to check in for train, will i still have too much time to sit around at the station?

One tour company offered to cover all my train tickets, cruise tickets, and transfers. He said usd$42 for Cairo airport to train station ( either Giza or Ramses ). Tha sounds like almost a few times the estimate you gave me here....

I was told usd$130 for transfer mini van from Edfu to marsa alam and another $130 marsa alam to Aswan. Is this the market rate?

Edited: 2:17 pm, May 28, 2013
Cairo, Al Qahirah...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: New info Cairo - Edfu 86 train, Nile cruise Aug, hotel Marsa

have a look at this it's is one of the top travel websites in Egypt

http://www.bookholiday.org

California
Level Contributor
114 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New info Cairo - Edfu 86 train, Nile cruise Aug, hotel Marsa

Anyone can advise which is a better light show - Karnak Light Show or Luxor light show? whats the difference???

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New info Cairo - Edfu 86 train, Nile cruise Aug, hotel Marsa

About the transport costs, check those out

cairoshuttlebus.com/articles.php…

…picturepush.com/photo/…13115942.jpg

Its the prices of the Airport itself and if you took a taxi from outside you might get it for less.

Anyway, I am not sure what you might do in the extra two hours before the train but you better not spend it in the station. You might make the driver take you downtown for lunch or something.

I went before to the "Karnak Light Show" and I loved it, no idea on the "Luxor light show" though, Sorry.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,484 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New info Cairo - Edfu 86 train, Nile cruise Aug, hotel Marsa

Power cuts permitting, Luxor Temple is often (beautifully) illuminated at night but, if there is now a Sound & Light Show there, I am unaware of it.

California
Level Contributor
114 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New info Cairo - Edfu 86 train, Nile cruise Aug, hotel Marsa

khaledmh, thanks for the transport info!!! do you know there is any 'left luggage' service at airport where i can leave the luggage with a service personnel during my day tour of cairo?

on my last day before i leave cairo, i have about 8 hours to spend in cairo. if i can find somewhere to leave my luggage, i can take public transport. otherwise, i am thinking maybe i am forced to do a 'package tour' with a operator who will have a driver drive us around, but then i can leave luggage in his car. this option i guess would be more expensive than taking a cab hired outside the airport by myself.

i researched - only light show at karnak but luxor is lighted up at night, no show. thanks for confirming!