We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cairo and Luxor

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
cairo and Luxor

we like to fly from Manchester to Egypt stay 3 night in cairo and 2 night Luxor we are four adults

can anyone suggest how to travel from Cairo to Luxor or vs

suggest 5 star hotel in Cairo near pyramid and tourist area

India
Level Contributor
63 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cairo and Luxor

1. Cairo to Luxor - fly both ways. Egypt Air preferably.

TIP: Stay closer to the airport or leave hours ahead of flying time. Cairo traffic is to be experienced to be believed.

Trains with their general state of disrepair and dusty insides don't seem inviting to me at all.

Now here is the thing about 5 star rating - it is done by the Egypt Tourism Dept. If you read most reviews they can be likened to 3 to 4 star hotels back home. 5 star is what they call deluxe accommodation around here.

We work and reside in Egypt (expats) - & have visited Giza several times. Here's my take:

1. there are 4 hotels right at the foothills of the pyramids which are "5 star" :

i.Mina House - worn out, wants 5 star tariff but is really surviving on past glory and accolades. Go only for sentimental reasons. We lunched there and came away thrilled we didn't stay there!

ii. Le Meridien - loved by the tourist groups & conference goers. Better rooms are given to these guys. expect buffet queues and crowded poolside,.Should you not get a pyramid facing room you will end up one facing the parking lot - its noisy. Their buffet starts like 3am for early fliers and if you are residing nearby they don't mind you coming for their buffet.

iii. The Mercure - an Accord group hotel - loves tour groups but doesn't ignore the individual traveller. Great rates less crowded lobby, but compact rooms. Souvenir shop owners are best behaved here.

iv. Movenpick Pyramids - my absolute fave. Small property only with tiny "villas" each one with a sit out. Lovely gardens private pool (no higher floor guests gawking at you). Miraculously keep the road noise out unlike the above 2 hotels. Prompt service. Huge buffet area - no rushed service - huge buffet choice - great value. Clean large pool. Love the Terrace Cafe they have where you can relax at the end of the day and have a drink or 2 and enjoy Pyramids. Cheaper than Mina and lot relaxed. And you will be a pampered guest! Beware: the travel desk. They are not under the hotels management and are notorious.

Touristy areas - really in GIza it is the Pyramids you are there for. There are some half day adn full day drives which you can avail of. We were lucky to have ABDULLAH. He has been the local hang-around-the-hotel driver for many years at the Movenpick,. Even while we were staying at the other hotels we would call for him. Speaks functional English AND IMPORTANTLY can take you where your heart desires!

We hired his services for:

1. nile dinner cruise - dinner on board with belly dancing, tanoura performances

2. gold shopping at local rates - I was keen on some Egyptian manufactured jewels. He took me to some market area where I found the most amazing collection - even Italian designs!!

3. pyramids - the drive in the pyramid enclosure - he shoeed away the hawkers and ensured we visited what we were interested in. Heck he was great with the camera as well.

4. Chinese restaurants are almost non-existent in Egypt - he managed to spring one on us!

5. Local Mall (6th Oct - Dandy Mall) for ATM and the best of shopping at non touristy prices.Even have a McD there if you need a fix.

Some things we did differently:

1. we lunched at the Sofitel El Gezirah in cairo on our way back from Giza. Great buffet. Best view of the NIle. But get out of there by 3pm. Traffic is a terror.

2. stayed at the movenpick pyramids but even lunched & swam at the Movenpick media city. I wanted a sprawling garden resort. And with Abdullah a call away transport was the least of my worries.

You can easily cover the touristy sites in Cairo by day and return to your much cheaper hotel in Giza by night. You can even hand pick the destinations you want to visit or explain to Abdullah the experiences you want to live and he will take you right there!!

Bon Voyage!

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cairo and Luxor

thanks for for ur advice

we thought about movenpick coz we stay in dubai few times

if possible let us know how to contact abdullah

India
Level Contributor
63 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cairo and Luxor

Pls send me a message from my profile. I cant share his number openly as it may appear I am soliciting! ! grumble grumble !

Montana
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cairo and Luxor

The best way and the most enjoyable is to take the fast train from Ramses Station to Luxor. It is called the Fansowi or Frech train. Leaves about 5 and travels all night. Friendly bar. We continued on to Aswan and flew back after Abu Simbol but round trip Lixor is great too.

Montana
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cairo and Luxor

The best way and the most enjoyable is to take the fast train from Ramses Station to Luxor. It is called the Fansowi or Frech train. Leaves about 5 and travels all night. Friendly bar. We continued on to Aswan and flew back after Abu Simbol but round trip Lixor is great too.

6. Re: cairo and Luxor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 am, May 19, 2013
Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cairo and Luxor

stop yer spamming!

8. Re: cairo and Luxor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 am, May 21, 2013
Montana
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cairo and Luxor

I notice that Egyptair has the new flight from Manchester to Cairo at a discount. Check that out if you didn.t buy yet. We we t Egyptair business to London for Four nights from May 5th. It was full. We enjoyed the good service. It is only 5 ohours so a piece of cake. Not like when we go to the States.

India
Level Contributor
63 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cairo and Luxor

Ummm...egyptair was recently on strike & baggage never arrived for those who did make it to cairo during this time. Don't take my word for it, search twitter for immediate updates around this strike.

What does work for me however is the generous baggage allowance this airlines offers. But if that's the reason I fly them & find my luggage amiss, I know I will be real mad

TIP: check other arrival destinations in Egypt. U will be surprised with the pricing, offers, deals and choice. It is sweltering hot-off season- here:more offerings willing to be sold than b bought. Just google.

Recently when we flew ( may 1st week) on a daily basis the rates kept dropping to our destinations: luxor, aswan. So look & u might just strike a bargain.