We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is API required for travel to Egypt?

Westbury, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is API required for travel to Egypt?

I'm going to Cairo at the end of May, flying with Egypt Air but have not been asked to provide API. Doing a search with Google gets very confusing, so I thought I'd ask the experts on here! So, can anyone tell me if API is required for Egypt or not?

Many thanks,

Bob.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
9,765 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is API required for travel to Egypt?

Sorry for my ignorance Bob, but what is API?

Westbury, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is API required for travel to Egypt?

Nefertari, It's Advance Passenger Information. Airlines/Holiday firms request this when travelling to certain countries, USA for example.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,308 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is API required for travel to Egypt?

It started as a US only requirement initially, but has spread.

I'm not saying this Wiki page is up-to-date, but have a read here:-

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Passenger_Infor…

and then, closer to home

…homeoffice.gov.uk/customs-travel/…

but even that page doesn't say which countries need it!!

We have never needed it before to go to Egypt & I'm sure the travel company we use would have asked us before now if it was required.

Looking at EgyptAir's on-line checking procedure at www.egyptair.com/English/Pages/APIS.aspx… isn't too helpful except that it states

"This system has been adopted by several countries and requires airlines to collect specific information about each passenger. If your itinerary includes one or more of these countries, you will be asked to provide identification details during the online check-in procedure and before you are able to print your boarding pass. Data includes your passport or identity card number and expiration date, issuing country, first and last names, sex, date of birth and nationality. "

Edited: 11:27 am, April 30, 2013
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,308 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is API required for travel to Egypt?

Too quick on the button - for "on-line checking" read 'On-Line-Check-In!!!!

Edited: 11:28 am, April 30, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,669 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is API required for travel to Egypt?

I’ve never been asked for anything except the basic personal information and contact details. For UK/EU/US passports: if you apply for a visa beforehand, they ask your obvious personal details, your address in Egypt, the purpose of your visit and details of your past visits (if any). If you go for one on arrival, they just look at your passport, paste the visa in and stamp it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,669 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is API required for travel to Egypt?

Sorry, on rereading, I’m being a bit vague. The first sentence refers to the ticketing airline (who these days may also ask for a passport type/number), the rest to Egyptian consular and immigration officials.

Westbury, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is API required for travel to Egypt?

Thanks all for your replies. Still not 100% sure from reading various Gov websites etc but I guess I'll find out soon enough!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
9,765 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is API required for travel to Egypt?

I've never been asked for it anywhere, so you will be okay:)

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,549 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is API required for travel to Egypt?

I was asked for API by Easyjet. It is only basic info, DOB, dates of visit name passport number etc etc. maybe you gave all this info when you booked the tickets.

Wales
Level Contributor
135 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is API required for travel to Egypt?

We always fly with Thomsons and have always been tol to fill in the API from before we go