We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A warning about the Blue Cab Company

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
598 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
A warning about the Blue Cab Company

Several people (including me) have recommended this company on TripAdvisor in the past. They are reasonably priced and their cabs are usually in decent condition.

They also used to be reliable.

Not any more.

Strike 1.

Booked a couple of trips to and from the airport. No confirmation was received for a few days but after chasing them via email I got one in.

Two days before I was due to be picked up from the airport, Egyptair delayed my flight by an hour and a half. I emailed Blue Cab to warn them that I would be arriving late. With no response to the email, I called them from Luxor airport to check that they had warned the driver about my delay. I was told that the driver was already at Cairo airport waiting for me.

I was then charged for the driver's waiting time. It was only 15LE, but still ...

Strike 2.

The cab for the return journey to the airport didn't turn up at all. I waited for fifteen minutes outside my hotel and finally hailed another taxi.

Strike 3.

Two weeks in advance, I booked a cab for a full day's excursion. Again, no email confirmation was received. This time, I called them from the UK. I was told that they had received my request and that they had already sent a confirmation email. When I told them it hadn't arrived, they said they would resend the confirmation.

It didn't arrive but I wasn't unduly worried as I had verbal confirmation that my request had been received. I assumed they were having some trouble with their email system.

The night before I was due to be picked up, I called them to reconfirm. I was asked for my reservation number. I explained that I didn't have one, but that I had confirmed the booking by telephone over a week ago.

I was told that they would check and call me back in ten minutes.

Half an hour later and no call back. I called them again.

I was told that they were fully booked and I wouldn't be getting a cab. The reason I didn't get a confirmation email was because there were no cabs available.

I tried protesting that I had confirmed the booking by telephone. I tried asking why they hadn't bothered to notify me that they were fully booked. I tried asking them at what point they had become fully booked. "About a week ago" I was told. I told them I'd made the booking two weeks ago.

They didn't even bother trying to explain the situation. I wasn't getting a cab the next day.

I didn't arrive in downtown Cairo until gone 2100, too late to call around travel companies. Luckily I was able to get the hotel to arrange a taxi for the next day (obviously at an inflated rate).

So I'd now advise caution when dealing with this company. Your cab may or may not arrive, even if you have a confirmation email and reservation number, and even if you have confirmed the booking by phone.

I know I'll be using another company on my next trip to Cairo.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
8,862 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A warning about the Blue Cab Company

That is a shame FF as I too have used them and recommended them in the past. So sorry they let you down:(

A P
Los Angeles
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: A warning about the Blue Cab Company

BEWARE !!! I used them about a month ago for a full day and when I got to the airport at the end of the day, my Ipod and Camera were STOLEN by the cab driver!!! When I contacted the company via email, Mohammad stated he recovered by camera and ipod but would not ship them and that I was out of luck. I advise, DO NOT trust these thiefs! I lost all of my pictures from my trips. =(

3. Re: A warning about the Blue Cab Company

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 21, 2014