We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Package Tour: what details should I be getting?

San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
657 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Package Tour: what details should I be getting?

Hi: THis is the first time we are doing a 'package deal' ever and I am about to pay for 50% of our tour package [incurring an additional 3% for using a credit card!] and other than the Tour Itinerary which mentions the sites and included meals, I don't have ANY details. Is this normal? No contract or anything. I had to complete a booking form with our details, but nothing more from the company. WHich has gotten good reviews here. Thanks for thoughts on those who have done this before.

Cairo
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Package Tour: what details should I be getting?

In Fact you should ask your travel agency to let you know the hotels names and categories

San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
657 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Package Tour: what details should I be getting?

Hi: yes, I know the boat, [or at least the boat company] and I actually booked the hotel myself as I could get a better rate than the tour company. But I just assumed there would be more paperwork.??

Cairo
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Package Tour: what details should I be getting?

Its normal that the travel agencies ask for 50 % as a deposit ,but when you arrive you can ask them to give you an invoice for the total payment.

Hope you a good time in Egypt

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
10,393 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Package Tour: what details should I be getting?

The boat is possibly the major thing that might change because of the shortage of tourists and subsequent amalgamation of cruises to make the trip worthwhile for one boat.

I would expect, by now, to have a detailed plan.

What time Am I being picked up at? What am I going to see? When will I be back?

One of the main things I want to know is:- As Checkout on boats and hotels might be 12:00 noon, what am I doing between then and the flight/train?

Can I leave my luggage in the hotel? Can I use the pool? Is there a room we can all use? etc. I have seen people write on here that they were thrown out at 12 and the flight was at 01:00 - 13 hrs later.

Then, at least, if there are any problems, you have paperwork to argue with. If it is all word of mouth, you haven't, especially if using a local company. It costs more, but you have more cover if trips etc. are booked with your main travel agent.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Package Tour: what details should I be getting?

I had an itinerary, with the names of the hotels and inclusions etc but no contract. I made sure the Company was licensed though and also that my insurance cover was comprehensive. I paid 50% a month or so before and the balance before I arrived, I did a bank deposit to avoid the credit charge and received a confirmation email. Everything worked well for me.

San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
657 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Package Tour: what details should I be getting?

Thanks very much to all. I have received some 'predeparture info' along with an itinerary so hopefully all will go well. One thing that struck me was the recommendations of some vacinations, like Typhoid and Hep A. I am now having to check with our doctor at the last minute to see the family is all up to date. Won't know for a few days as it is a holiday weekend here. We leave in less than a week!

I have asked what we can do when we disembark the Nile boat in Luxor as our flight is not until 1pm but the Rep said to ask the Guide. So that leaves that unanswered as we won't meet the guide until we arrive. No idea of what the extra cost would be etc.

I will post a report when we return in APril. Thanks much-

7. Re: Package Tour: what details should I be getting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 am, March 31, 2013
8. Re: Package Tour: what details should I be getting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 01, 2014