There are various ways to save plenty of money when visiting Egypt, Whether you are an independent traveler or using a travel agent , a student or a family travelling on a budget , Egypt proves to be one of the cheapest destination for all in the world. Here are some useful tips that help you a lot to tour Egypt for less.
1. Get your entry visa at Cairo airport. It always works out cheaper and much easier than getting it at home. Visa is currently obtained for $ 15 per person (25$ in a couple of month) either from the bank or through a local travel agent which might save you some time by helping in avoiding crowds. Most travel agents arrange such service for about $5 per person.
2. Exchange your US dollar, British pound sterling or Euro in Egypt where you can get the best conversion rates and exchange deals. The local currency is the Egyptian pound (EGP), however many stores accept the US dollar and the Euro. Exchange just a bit at airport then the rest in the city in banks or exchange stores. Banks are open from Sunday to Thursday; working hours from 8:30 am to 5 pm. Some exceptions of 24 hours operated banks can be found at airports, while exchange stores are open from 10.00 am till 10 pm.
3. Opt the most important landmarks from your point of view as what’s important for others might not be as important to you. If you will go with this advice then you will not miss any of the entertainment options that you would find during your visit to Egypt.
4. Don’t spend much money on luxurious food. Have a nice breakfast at your hotel. Hotels usually provide a good variety to appeal to traditional full breakfast with fresh fruit. then eat where/ what locals do. There are a lot of cheap options for tasty local Egyptian food like Koushari, foul, falafel, grapes’ leaves ..etc. as well as other fast dining options.
5. Use the 1st Class, air-conditioned express train service or the sleeping train from Cairo to Luxor and Aswan to Cairo to save money. Yes, the journey is long but who cares specially with such a breathtaking scenery. Two meals are included in the sleeper train’s ticket (Dinner and breakfast) while you should bring some food when taking the express seated train.
6. Use a recommended local tour agent for your booking. They are many in Trip Advisors. A good local one usually can get you lower deals on your package holiday (accommodation, transportations and tours) than booking a hotel or hire guides on your own. In addition, joining a native group tour isn’t necessarily the cheapest option to visit Egypt. On the contrary, a custom designed family holiday with special entertainment program for kids can be of great value.
7. Get a prepaid local mobile phone sim card once arriving in Egypt. That will facilitate contacting home and your travel agent easily and cheaply. There are 3 providers with excellent coverage in all Egypt at the moment . They might be four in a couple of months. Insert your new sim card, then top up your prepaid line using the scratch card then you will receive a welcome message. All your upcoming calls are free of charge. You just need to reload it within 30 days.
I found very few web sites that help people to save money when traveling to Egypt, one of which is Trips to Egypt It shows how to spend less on your holiday and presents some unusual ways for a budget travel .. I had luck to post some travel guidelines on it. I think People can share their own experiences and reviews about their Egypt trip with other new travelers