We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saving money in Egypt !

NYC
Level Contributor
37 posts
Saving money in Egypt !
Save

There are various ways to save plenty of money when visiting Egypt, Whether you are an independent traveler or using a travel agent , a student or a family travelling on a budget , Egypt proves to be one of the cheapest destination for all in the world. Here are some useful tips that help you a lot to tour Egypt for less.

1. Get your entry visa at Cairo airport. It always works out cheaper and much easier than getting it at home. Visa is currently obtained for $ 15 per person (25$ in a couple of month) either from the bank or through a local travel agent which might save you some time by helping in avoiding crowds. Most travel agents arrange such service for about $5 per person.

2. Exchange your US dollar, British pound sterling or Euro in Egypt where you can get the best conversion rates and exchange deals. The local currency is the Egyptian pound (EGP), however many stores accept the US dollar and the Euro. Exchange just a bit at airport then the rest in the city in banks or exchange stores. Banks are open from Sunday to Thursday; working hours from 8:30 am to 5 pm. Some exceptions of 24 hours operated banks can be found at airports, while exchange stores are open from 10.00 am till 10 pm.

3. Opt the most important landmarks from your point of view as what’s important for others might not be as important to you. If you will go with this advice then you will not miss any of the entertainment options that you would find during your visit to Egypt.

4. Don’t spend much money on luxurious food. Have a nice breakfast at your hotel. Hotels usually provide a good variety to appeal to traditional full breakfast with fresh fruit. then eat where/ what locals do. There are a lot of cheap options for tasty local Egyptian food like Koushari, foul, falafel, grapes’ leaves ..etc. as well as other fast dining options.

5. Use the 1st Class, air-conditioned express train service or the sleeping train from Cairo to Luxor and Aswan to Cairo to save money. Yes, the journey is long but who cares specially with such a breathtaking scenery. Two meals are included in the sleeper train’s ticket (Dinner and breakfast) while you should bring some food when taking the express seated train.

6. Use a recommended local tour agent for your booking. They are many in Trip Advisors. A good local one usually can get you lower deals on your package holiday (accommodation, transportations and tours) than booking a hotel or hire guides on your own. In addition, joining a native group tour isn’t necessarily the cheapest option to visit Egypt. On the contrary, a custom designed family holiday with special entertainment program for kids can be of great value.

7. Get a prepaid local mobile phone sim card once arriving in Egypt. That will facilitate contacting home and your travel agent easily and cheaply. There are 3 providers with excellent coverage in all Egypt at the moment . They might be four in a couple of months. Insert your new sim card, then top up your prepaid line using the scratch card then you will receive a welcome message. All your upcoming calls are free of charge. You just need to reload it within 30 days.

I found very few web sites that help people to save money when traveling to Egypt, one of which is Trips to Egypt It shows how to spend less on your holiday and presents some unusual ways for a budget travel .. I had luck to post some travel guidelines on it. I think People can share their own experiences and reviews about their Egypt trip with other new travelers

England, United...
Level Contributor
6,087 posts
68 reviews
78 helpful votes
1. Re: Saving money in Egypt !
Save

I am curious about your comments on buying a visa - particularly the bit about it costing $25 in a couple of months. Please would you state your source of information for this.

Chelsea, Alabama
Level Contributor
43 posts
101 reviews
62 helpful votes
2. Re: Saving money in Egypt !
Save

I understand it may already have changed by the time of our trip next week. This came from our tour guide as a heads up for our arrival.

NYC
Level Contributor
37 posts
3. Re: Saving money in Egypt !
Save

A Jordanian colleague just came back from Egypt last February. It was published in the newspapers that the Egyptian government has decided to increase the visa fee to $ 25 as of July 1st, 2013 instead of $ 15 per person. As far as I heard most travel agencies/organizations don't agree with such decision as from their point of view it could affect the tourism industry. Regardless of opposing views, the decision might be carried out at last.

London, England...
Level Contributor
171 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Saving money in Egypt !
Save

If this is the case I am suprised it is not on the website of the Egyptian embassy which is still stating USD 15... Has there been anything in the press about this at all?

Edited: 7 years ago
Ulaanbaatar...
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
22 reviews
18 helpful votes
5. Re: Saving money in Egypt !
Save

File under "believe it when i see it." Lots of things talked about here that don't get done- for a while last year visas on arrival were supposedly going to disappear altogether, but that never happened. Really doesn't make sense for them to raise the price given the state of tourism, and also with the devaluation of the EGP they are getting more in local terms from $15 now anyway.

Good list. I'd add, in Cairo- Take the metro! It's 1 LE and totally usable, though not so extensive unfortunately.

Australia
Level Contributor
10,988 posts
80 reviews
355 helpful votes
6. Re: Saving money in Egypt !
Save

Agree with Modesto, the no-visa on arrival decision only lasted a few days and after they thought about it revoked it. The good news is that things take time in Egypt. They have been talking about raising the entrance fees to the sites at least three years (they have been the same since 2008).

San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
659 posts
22 reviews
26 helpful votes
7. Re: Saving money in Egypt !
Save

Busydad: thanks much for your helpful tips!

NYC
Level Contributor
37 posts
8. Re: Saving money in Egypt !
Save

johnsongypsie... You're welcome

modesto111 thank you for the add, Right "no body knows what tomorrow brings"

Dear forumities, please add what you think it can save money in Egypt or things you can spend less on , based on your experience..... Thanks

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
30 posts
72 reviews
70 helpful votes
9. Re: Saving money in Egypt !
Save

Organized Tours is where you can save the most money*. There is alot of middlemen involved. Use local transportation and taxis (insist on meter or move on) to visit the major tourist sights and buy you own tickets. Do not eat at western restaurants. McDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut, etc are US and UK prices while local food is super cheap. I bought breakfast for 2 people from a street cart which was more than we could eat and it cost less than US$1 and I suspect I was still paying double the Egyptian price! Avoid the Kalili tourist market. The guys in there will have you paying them just to get away:)

*with the exception of specialized tours like western desert trips which are best done with a guide

10. Re: Saving money in Egypt !

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, March 11, 2014