We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at hotel Grand Royal in March.. should we move?

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at hotel Grand Royal in March.. should we move?

Hey all! So my husband and I , along with our 3 youngest children are staying in Cairo for 3 nights. We had booked many many months ago the Hotel Grand Royal which is located downtown near the end of march thinking we could just walk to the museum from there.

My question is, should we move hotels? The Grand Royal is non-refundable and we had to get 2 rooms for 3 nights so that is the downfall, but for safety, we are willing to move. Was thinking of changing to Giza possibly.

If we do stay at the Hotel Grand Royal, would it be safe to walk to the museum, or would we be advised to take a cab ( we would probably have to take 2 as there are 5 of us).

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at hotel Grand Royal in March.. should we move?

Hello, the walk is about 500-700 metres depending on which way you walk. If all in your group have no mobility issues then walking should be ok but be warned the traffic is heavy so have your wits about you. As for safety, i would not worry unduly, just take the same precautions you would at home and give Tahir a wide birth as this is where the demos tend to be, this is usually after afternoon prayers on a Friday. Having said that please note the demos are not directed at tourists. I was in Cairo in September on the day of a demonstration in a Hotel about the same distance from tahir as your hotel is and the only reason i knew there had been a demo was because someone in my hotel told me, literally as long as your not in the sqaure then you should be fine. Also please check with your foreign office/state department prior to travel for the latest information, try not to worry too much it should be fine if you take sensible precautions.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at hotel Grand Royal in March.. should we move?

Thank you Julian!! I appreciate very much your opinions! Nice to hear we can still walk to the museum, though I suppose if we find the traffic to crazy, we can always grab a cab. No one has mobility issues, but as I mentioned, we are taking kids with us, so their safety is paramount. I probably wouldn't be worried near as much if it was just myself and my husband, but putting the kids in the mix makes us that much more cautious.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
8,920 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at hotel Grand Royal in March.. should we move?

I agree with Julian, if it was me I'd leave the booking as it is.

With three children a taxi could be a good idea, it won't cost you much even for two taxis to the museum. The good part about staying in Downtown is that you can walk to restaurants, shops etc make sure you take the kids at night down Talaart Harb and Qasr al Nil streets to soak up the atmosphere of the sidewalk vendors. There are loads of Egyptian families out till late and it is quite safe.

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at hotel Grand Royal in March.. should we move?

NIce to see folks with a reasonable attitude towards downtown. Yeah, your super close to the museum and walking around the neighborhood is fine. Sometimes small marches gather in Talaat Harb square, or larger demos pass through on the way to Tahrir, but as has been said it is not a general danger. Also, you can walk the two blocks to Tahrir down Talaat Harb street and take a peek at the square without going in....it's history for better or worse.

Have fun in Cairo.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at hotel Grand Royal in March.. should we move?

Thank you all so very much!! I feel much better about our choice now. :) Really looking forward to our trip!

6. Re: Staying at hotel Grand Royal in March.. should we move?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 16, 2014