We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Cruise from Cairo to Awan or Luxor to Cairo

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Long Cruise from Cairo to Awan or Luxor to Cairo

is the long cruise Cairo - Aswan or Luxor - Cairo interesting and will be useful enjoyable or not

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,883 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Cruise from Cairo to Awan or Luxor to Cairo

I'm not sure if any TA members have actually done it yet. Those run this year seemed to be mainly press and trade junkets and the real cruises start in 2013.

It is generally the higher end travel companies such as Bales

balesworldwide.com/destinations/…

and VJV

vjv.com/destinations/…index.html to give just two examples of companies offering it, although Thomson's seem to be getting in on the act.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,488 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Cruise from Cairo to Awan or Luxor to Cairo

It is interesting because it gets into parts of Middle Egypt which are generally little visited, and because it is offered by the better tour companies, sometimes with top academics. I'm sure it will be enjoyable. It will only be useful if you are doing a degree in Egyptology.

Aswan
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Cruise from Cairo to Awan or Luxor to Cairo

they are not a lot nowadays

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Cruise from Cairo to Awan or Luxor to Cairo

Last time I checked the prices were very expensive and definitely out of my league.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,971 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Cruise from Cairo to Awan or Luxor to Cairo

Just to add some recollections and thoughts.

Having done one of the last, Swan Hellenic, Aswan - Cairo cruises before the government imposed hiatus, I must admit to having really enjoyed the long Nile cruise and that it's sometthing I'd love to be able to do again.

Not only do you get to visit sites that would normally be unreachable; such as the Meidum Pyramid (crawling down a robber's tunnel into Mastaba 17 is memorable, but not for the claustrophobic), the Amarna North Tombs and North Palace and the Beni Hassan Middle Kingdom tombs, but the scenery can be amongst the most beautiful in Egypt, when viewed from the sun deck. As has been stated elsewhere on the forums, spending long days cruising bewteen sites, watching life on the river banks go by isn't everyone's beverage of choice and some might decide that such a holiday would be too boring for them.

However, as Nefertari rightly points out, such tours don't come cheap. Even 24 - 26 years ago it would cost approximately £2000 per head for the 17 days; including single supplements, and that was in July, when fares were at their lowest.

Admitedly, this price included return 1st class rail tickets to London/Heathrow, return Egyptiar flights to Cairo, 2 nights full board accommodation in a 5 star Cairo hotel (the start of my ongoing love affair with the Ramses Hilton), domestic flight to Aswan and 14 nights full board accommodation on the cruise boat. Chuck in all yours, a guide and an egyptologist (normally a UK university/dig team member) and I guess things don't seem so bad but, even so, it was expensive enough to make this a once in a life time trip (although I loved it enough to have saved my pennies for two years again and done it twice).

Prices quoted by the companies eLaReF has linked to, and that I've found here: discoveregypt.co.uk/nile-cruises/…13957 , seem to indicate prices ranging from approximately £1500 - £2300 per head. This is the basic price and doesn't include supplements for single travellers, regional departures or the optional tour to Abu Simbel, so in all cases you could be looking at in excess of £2000 for such a tour.

Another point is that all three companies only offer a very limited range of dates for these tours, ranging from April - September, with no winter or summer dates available. It should also be noted that all three companies are offering accommodation on the same vessel, the Movenpick MS Hamees, so comparing the fine print as to what's on offer becomes even more important than usual.

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Cruise from Cairo to Awan or Luxor to Cairo

I did the long cruise back in 1991 and its definitely worth it. The scenery is different and sailing right into the heart of Cairo was truly memorable.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long Cruise from Cairo to Awan or Luxor to Cairo

Gparry and SWmuse you lucky things;) I had do do all the stuff in between by road, still enjoyable but a cruise would have been fantastic. Perhaps in the retirement,lol

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
878 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long Cruise from Cairo to Awan or Luxor to Cairo

Definiitely worth it...look at Kuoni brochure for Egypt...I did it a few years ago and loved every minute and there is a lot to see/watch even when on the boat. Much better than short Luxor to Aswan cruise in my opinion.

9. Re: Long Cruise from Cairo to Awan or Luxor to Cairo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, January 02, 2014