We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best areas or streets to soak up Cairo atmosphere

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
237 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Best areas or streets to soak up Cairo atmosphere

Which streets are the nicest to wander down, -for pavement cafes, glimpses of Cairo life, beautiful buildings, people watching, etc

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
8,036 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best areas or streets to soak up Cairo atmosphere

I love Downtown for wandering. You could walk all the way up Talaart Harb from Midan Tahrir and come back down Qasr Nil, wandering down side streets. There are footpaths all the way, gorgeous old buildings, shops, cafes with tables set out on the pavement, people smoking sheesha, restaurants. IMO its even better at night when the streets are full of Egyptian families. Also at night the street vendors really come alive, singing little ditty's and tossing stuff in the air offering BOGOF deals, there is never any hassle just light hearted banter. You will see them selling stuff from their car which is literally covered in merchandise or from sidewalk stalls.

I also love Midan Hussein, sit in one of the cafes and watch life going on all around you.

Zamalek where I usually stay is mostly walkable but take care crossing roads, especially 26th July street.

If you take a taxi to Bab el Futah, you can walk a famous street in Islamic Cairo (look under things to do Cairo for a one day walk). Chock full of lovely monuments and it has been pedestrianised, I also like this at night.

If you are going to be there on a Friday or Saturday, take a taxi to Al Azhar Park and see Egyptian families out enjoying themselves.

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,036 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best areas or streets to soak up Cairo atmosphere

ps you can also walk along the Nile on the Corniche and see lots of Egyptians walking & taking boat rides, especially in the evening. Make sure you walk across ONE bridge for some great photos of the life on the Nile. There are street vendors selling sweet potato and corn on the cob even from there, you will have to contend with the traffic crossing the bridge (fumes, noise) but the pavements are wide and you will get some lovely photos especially early evening.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
237 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best areas or streets to soak up Cairo atmosphere

Thanks Nefertari, thats just the kind of information I was after! Are these places safe for a woman on her own at night? What time does it get dark in Cairo, I am visiting in December, for the first time.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
97 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best areas or streets to soak up Cairo atmosphere

hi

nefertari tell you every thing leave nothing to be said

:D

in khan el khalili el fishawi cafe is good

also islamic cairo

you can go to down town groppi cafe

zamalek cafe is expensive

Co. Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
367 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best areas or streets to soak up Cairo atmosphere

Nefertari - Your replies are very helpful for me too. Thanks.

Kate

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,036 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best areas or streets to soak up Cairo atmosphere

Hi girls, I am a woman and walk all over Cairo alone, especially in the areas I mentioned.

No one can guarantee that anywhere is 100% safe and you should exercise the normal precautions you would elsewhere. Let me put it this way, I would NEVER walk anywhere on my own at night in Australia, or anywhere else in the world that I have been to. I have been doing that in Egypt for over a decade and have not had one incident yet that would change my mind.

I was last there in October/November 2011 and like everyone else, I did not know what to expect after the revolution.

I listened to friends who lived there & decided to play it by ear once on the ground, if I felt uneasy I would only walk during the day. That feeling lasted for about 15 minutes and I just adopted my usual routines.

There were however demonstrations when I was there and people were killed in those clashes.

I have not been in December so hopefully someone will be able to fill you in on that, my guess it will be about 5 ish??

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
237 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best areas or streets to soak up Cairo atmosphere

Nefertari, where exactly is the Corniche?

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,036 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best areas or streets to soak up Cairo atmosphere

The road that runs along side the River Nile.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,200 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best areas or streets to soak up Cairo atmosphere

The Corniche is a riverside promenade along the Nile. Most cities in Egypt and the Middle East have a Corniche. It could be alongside a river, harbour, bay - really anywhere there is water.

Cairo, Egypt
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best areas or streets to soak up Cairo atmosphere

I have been living in Cairo for the last 12 years, and no, I did not leave during the revolution. ;) You'll probably be OK everywhere Nefertari has suggested as long as you stick to main streets where there are lights and people. Things have changed since the revolution and I would suggest you be alert as there is a greater - tho smallish - incidence of purse snatchings, etc. The Egyptian people have not changed and are still kind, generous, funny, and friendly.

If you want to see a different, but just as real, Egypt, try Zamalek, where I live. Lovely old villas and apartment buildings, great cafes and restaurants, bookstores, art galleries, and lots of trees. I also recommend a visit to the Cairo Marriott which is in an old Khedival palace. Quite a lot of the decoration and some of the furniture is original and the garden is a lovely place for lunch or a drink.