We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe are salads/lettuce in restaurants?

sacramento, ca
Level Contributor
39 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
How safe are salads/lettuce in restaurants?

I know that health safety for travelling in Cairo is if food cannot be peeled or cooked, don't eat it. Yet in the popular tour books the salads and sandwiches that contain lettuce are sometime recommended at specific restaurants.

Are salads and lettuce safe at the better restaurants? Or at all restaurants? Or avoid?

thanks

Memphis Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Emo Tours Egypt
City Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Other Outdoor Activities
Egypt Tailor Made Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Multi-day Tours, Private Tours, Photography Tours, Day Trips
Ramasside Tours
Multi-day Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
USA
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe are salads/lettuce in restaurants?

Personally, when I'm in Egypt I always eat the salads, fruit, fresh raw veggies etc. without regard to whether it can be peeled, cooked, or whatever. This is at any restaurant, including many that are geared towards locals, and not so much tourists. We generally rent an apartment when we're there, so I end up doing some cooking too. I buy produce at the local markets for both salads and cooked dishes, and wash them with tap water, no problems.

With that said, not everyone would do this, it's just a matter of personal preference and experiences. Have a great trip!

canada
Level Contributor
212 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe are salads/lettuce in restaurants?

I tried to be super careful about what I ate and I still got sick. My advice is bring some Pepto and eat whatever you want.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
42 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How safe are salads/lettuce in restaurants?

I Think it differ from one stomach to another and also depend where you gonna eat. is it a clean restaurant or you are trying the local foul ( beans) from a cart in the street.

If you feel that the restaurant is not clean don't eat at all neither salad nor anything

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How safe are salads/lettuce in restaurants?

I personally 'echo' all that is said in reply #1, there is far too much paranoia regarding salad and fruit eating when in Egypt IMO.

You can get 'sick' (stomach upset or infection) from a multitude of causes in Egypt and it more than likely will have nothing to do with the salad or fruit, peeled or otherwise, but that is what most people (even doctors) like to blame.

Bacteria is often passed around on the 'paper' money (the smaller notes are generally filthy) and from the sweat on peoples hands, because everybody wants to shake your hand all the time.

Just take (and discreetly use) some anti-bac gel after handling money or shaking hands with anybody and definitely before touching ANY food, or putting your hands anywhere near your mouth.

Edited: 4:20 am, October 18, 2012
Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
98 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How safe are salads/lettuce in restaurants?

it varies according to restaurants

but something like tehina will be safe in all resturants other salads it depend on the resturant but better to avoid exept in famous restaurant or 5* restaurants

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How safe are salads/lettuce in restaurants?

Don't ever forget that personal hygiene is paramount, even then you can't 100% guarantee that you won't be affected. You can only do your best and hope that it is enough.

London, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How safe are salads/lettuce in restaurants?

What we made sure was that we never drank water unless it was from a sealed bottle and actually avoided juices for the first few days as well - just soft drinks. We had salads and that never seemed to have any adverse affects.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How safe are salads/lettuce in restaurants?

In twenty years of regular trips to Egypt and having bought many hundreds of bottles of water, from numerous outlets, throughout the country over that time, I have NEVER once encountered a bottle of mineral water where the seal was not intact, nor have I ever met anybody who has.

This 'tale' is usually a scaremongering tactic used by Nile cruise 'guides' and holiday reps to discourage visitors from purchasing bottles of water (or any other drinks) from anywhere else but on the boat itself, or from hotels, where the prices can be 5 or 6 times as much for the same drink if bought from a shop or vendor in town, by inferring that they (the onshore vendors) are likely to fill empty bottles from the tap, or the Nile and sell them to unsuspecting tourists.

I am slightly puzzled that in reply #7 the poster says that they avoided juices for the first few days ? Presumably they were fine to drink after that, which would indicate ti me that they would have been perfectly fine for the 'first few days' as well.

Noteably, they state that they also had salads with no adverse affects.

Edited: 7:48 am, October 20, 2012
UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How safe are salads/lettuce in restaurants?

In main tourist resorts in Egypt, tap water is safe. I am not going to even qualify that with the standard - "although it is heavily chlorinated" any more. Tap water is safe for washing fruit and vegetables. It is safe for drinking (doesn't taste great). It is safe for ice. It is safe for brushing your teeth with. Bottled water has had safety alarms, and there have been problems with mains water being contaminated in certain places. Generally though, tap water is safe, just not pleasant to drink - so buy bottled water to drink. Avoid the bottled waters in recent safety scares, if you wish.

"I have NEVER once encountered a bottle of mineral water where the seal was not intact, nor have I ever met anybody who has." KV

Me neither - time to throw this silly myth out with the bath water!

The hygiene of the resturant will determine if food is safe to eat. Check out recommendations online, TravelNice. Don't be afraid to try lots of washed fruit and vegetables.Be more careful with food held at ambient temperatures, especially buffet food.

10. Re: How safe are salads/lettuce in restaurants?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, December 15, 2013