We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to go to Egypt?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Safe to go to Egypt?

We have booked our flight to visit Egypt from December 13th January 3rd. I am holding off on making any hotel reservations as a result of the most recent political unrest.

Does anyone know if it will be advisable to travel to Egypt in the Dec. time frame this year? We are planning to visit Cairo, Alexandria and take a Nile cruise

Please advise

thanks

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to go to Egypt?

Sarah, you are basically asking for someone to see into the future! I wouldnt put my neck on the line about predicting the future where i live let alone another country!

As things stand the general view is that it is safe to travel to Egypt at the moment. I was there just over a week ago and encountered nothing that made me feel unsafe.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to go to Egypt?

I might also add that this topic has been dealt with heavily in the last few months, just scroll down this list to find a multitude of posts like yours.

Cairo, Egypt
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to go to Egypt?

Hi Sarah,

I've been living here for 7 years now and although the past year or so has had frightening moments, it is safe. I work in tourism and not a single foreigner has been hurt. The political unrest here is just that, political. Some people tend to get over excited for a day or two then life goes on. If you look closely you'll notice that these demos and such always happen on a Friday (first day of the weekend here) and then everyone goes back to work on Sunday as normal. It has become a running joke.

Stoney Creek...
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to go to Egypt?

This is a question asked by most wanting to travel to Egypt these days. I can tell you that I was there in January of 2012 which just happened to be the 1 year anniversary of the revolution. My guides were unsure what would happen but nothing did.

The Egyptian economy is driven by tourism so tourists for the most part are well taken care of (at least that was my experience). The bonus to all this uncertainty for visitors like you is that the sites are pretty deserted compared to the usual crowds.

I would say just monitor the situation and only visit if nothing erupts.

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe to go to Egypt?

I went on a River cruise to the Nile, after being advised I would be perfectly safe by an agent (cruise.co.uk/river-cruises/…).

I had an amazing time, and Cairo is as beautiful as you'd imagine. I highly recommend doing this. Just keep your ears open and if anything major erupts, be guarded about it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,336 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe to go to Egypt?

“I went on a River cruise to the Nile, after being advised I would be perfectly safe by an agent...”

I’m not suggesting that he/she was wrong but what would you expect someone who makes a living selling Nile cruises to say?

As for the OP’s question, the first two posts sum it up. Avoid demos (if there are any while you are there) and, as just about everybody says, use the same common sense you would in the UK and everything should be fine.

Edited: 8:59 am, October 10, 2012
Cairo, Egypt
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe to go to Egypt?

hello sarah.

what's funny is that i keep replying on the same subject over and over. :D sadly what the media shows the whole world is different than reality, to get to the point Egypt is a very safe. and a few political issues going on is normal after the revolution but the whole country is stable and moving forward.

especially for tourists since Egyptians have deep hospitality traditions. and being a foreigner in egypt people would love to help you out in all sorts of ways.

what might be annoying the greedy gift shop owners and all those who make living out of tourism. which i believe is normal everywhere, buy what you want and bargain.

but no need to worry. i am not working in tourism i am just an Egyptian that loves my country and hate the fact people have the wrong idea. and it was the safest even in the hardest times of the revolution. and feel free to ask about anything you want. cuz i belive its allways better to ask a citizen rather than someone who came here for a week or so :).

Paeonian Springs
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe to go to Egypt?

SAFETY: The following are my impressions during a two week visit in August of 2012. Others may have had different experiences, or a different view.

• We felt safe on our trip to Egypt although our visit was bracketed by demonstrations. The demonstrations have been limited principally to Tahrir Square near the Egyptian Museum in Cairo. During our stay, various people among our guides and in our hotels advised us when and where demonstrations were planned, and warned us to avoid these.

• Considering the size of the city, the demonstrations during our stay were not large, and were easily avoidable. The major tourist sites along the Nile are outside places where disturbances are likely and are well patrolled with specially trained tourist police.

• Our tour operator was particularly conscientious concerning safety. We had a guard assigned to our tour van, although this may be more to make us comfortable than to handle any threats. More important, good tour operators should be well-trained and equipped to deal with potential problems. For example, our tour company had extensive contacts in the hotels and among the transit companies, and was able to quickly adjust our itinerary in the case of a cancelled airline flight. The same skills would be invaluable in the case of some other disturbances.

• The Egyptian people are friendly and the crime rate is very low. Everywhere we went, the vendors, hotel staff, museum employees, guards, taxi drivers and others in the tourist industry were very welcoming, especially upon learning that we were from the United States. Everyone seemed to have a relative or knew someone who had moved to or visited the United States. They told us how important tourism was not just to their country, but to their own livelihood, and encouraged us to visit again and bring more Americans.

• If you do decide to visit Egypt now, you can expect low prices and package upgrades. Traffic is light, and lines virtually non-existent. You will even be able to take photographs of the monuments without tourists and strangers in the picture!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe to go to Egypt?

A very reassuring post Eric, which I am sure will alay a lot of fears held by future travellers, especially those from the USA perhaps.

Just a few pointers though,

most tourist vehicles will have either an armed Tourist policeman (unfortunately they are NOT 'specially' trained at all, that is just 'spiel' to reassure tourists) on board (or an armed plain clothed officer, or both) it is very 'usual' and one shouldn't be alarmed by it.

Travel and transport arrangements regularly change in Egypt, again it is very usual, so for your tour company to change everything, was not so much 'magic', more a normal day at the (Egyptian) office.

And strangely enough, EVERY Egyptian I have ever met (and that runs into many hundreds now) ALL coincedentally also have a relation, family member etc who lives just down the road from where I come from . . . they don't of course, neither do all of those that you met know anyone in America, regardless of how sincere they may have sounded, as again, this is a 'usual' story for the benefit of tourists and as you found from your own experience of it, it works !

Glad you enjoyed your time their though.

Cairo, Egypt
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe to go to Egypt?

Sarah, I'm an American - coincidentally originally from GA - who has been living in Cairo for over 12 years. You do have to be a little more careful than before the revolution, but no more than you would need to be in any large American city or tourist area. The Egyptian people are very friendly and like American people very much. You'll be surprised at how many Christmas decorations you see. I know you'll have a wonderful trip and it is really the perfect time to come as we have so few tourists so the various sites are not crowded.

Edited: 1:06 pm, November 20, 2012