We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I use Australian dollars to obtain my visa on arrival??

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Topic
Can I use Australian dollars to obtain my visa on arrival??

When I entered Luxor a few months ago, I used some of my left over US dollars to obtain my visa at the airport.

I will be arriving in Cairo next week and have no more US dollars. I had a look through my currency bits and pieces this morning and the most of have of another currency is 10 GBP, but one of the notes has been torn and has been sticky taped together and I have a feeling that this note may not be accepted.

So, can I use Australian dollars to purchase my visa on arrival at Cairo airport?

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I use Australian dollars to obtain my visa on arrival??

I believe that only $US £Uk or Euros can be used to purchase a visa on arrival.

Can't you get another $15 to pay for the new visa ?. Or simply change money as you get your visa and explain you need to change it before you can purchase said visa.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I use Australian dollars to obtain my visa on arrival??

Do you have a stop anywhere on the way? Like Thailand or Singapore?.. You can get some $$ changed there... Ive never used AUD as I always change money at the bank before I leave .... Suncorp Bank usually has USD on hand...

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I use Australian dollars to obtain my visa on arrival??

As the Aussie $ is an internationally traded currency & given that the visa is purchased from a bank I would THINK that they will be accepted. How about getting 15US$ just in case, but first of all offering your Aussie version of the $ & seeing if it is accepted. Safe in the knowledge that you have a reserve?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I use Australian dollars to obtain my visa on arrival??

I would second what SteveKent says, you will be purchasing your visa from a bank kiosk so would be very surprised if they would not accept the Oz dollar in payment, along with many other currencies.

I have certainly never heard of visa purchases being limited to certain currencies and have never seen any signs in any Egyptian airport I have been to stating that.

Kings Creek...
Level Contributor
215 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I use Australian dollars to obtain my visa on arrival??

I_Luv_to_Trav...

When you do return - Please let us know what you find out. I look forward to reading your trip report.

Sue.

6. Re: Can I use Australian dollars to obtain my visa on arrival??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:04 am, September 18, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I use Australian dollars to obtain my visa on arrival??

Thanks everyone for your suggestions (don't know what no.6 was though). I have been asking around and have been able to get onto USD20 from a friend which is going to make it much easier!!

8. Re: Can I use Australian dollars to obtain my visa on arrival??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, September 22, 2013