We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Egypt - Dec. 2012

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Egypt - Dec. 2012

I have a few days to decide on a Dec. 2012 trip to Egypt and a cruise down the Nile for a full refund of my deposit, I have read a few reports on safety in Egypt, but they are from early 2012. Has anyone been there recenly or have an idea what the end of the year looks like there for safety? Much appreciated...

Florida
Level Contributor
78 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Travel to Egypt - Dec. 2012

Southwest Florida is beautiful, but Egypt is a trip of a lifetime! Maybe someday for you :)

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Travel to Egypt - Dec. 2012

Ktwofish, Definitely! I am going, but want to feel comfortable so I can really enjoy the trip since I'll probably go only once. I was thinking of the Caribbean, but who knows? I have taken many trips around the world and untiil I see everythng I don't repeat a trip. Although you could twist my arm just a little and I'd go back to Thailand and Paris. :). Moorea, so far is really the only place I'd visit many times!!! Love to snorkel and have a condo in the water!

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Travel to Egypt - Dec. 2012

Hi,

I'm booked to travel to Cairo for three nights and then another seven nights on a Nile cruise at the end of December 2012. The recent outbreaks are worrying me as well especially as I am a female travelling alone. I've e-mailed my tour operator (Orbital) who have assured me that everything will be fine due to the fact that my hotel is 45 minutes away from Cairo itself (although I am booked to visit the pyramids and the Cairo museum). I have contacted my insurance company who have told me that I am not entitled to any reimbursement of the price of my trip unless every flight from England to Eygpt was cancelled. Any advice anyone may have would be gratefully received. Thank you

Berkhamsted, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Travel to Egypt - Dec. 2012

We are going to Cairo on Monday with our family including small children. we are worried as well but assured by family there that it's not as bad as the media are saying. you will NOT be able to go to the Cairo museum because it is very close to the riots, however the pyramids in Giza will be fine. You will probably notice there is 'heat' in the air...the energy is high and people are worried, anxious, upset and nervous. there have been attacks on women who are alone near the protests to please for your safety stay away from the tahrir square and any gatherings of people. I think if you stay in your group you will be fine.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Travel to Egypt - Dec. 2012

Thank you leasaher for your advice and information. It's a shame to hear that the museum will be out of bounds as I've been wanting to go to Egypt to see everything since I was a child, but I was half expecting that this would be the case. Thanks again and I hope you have a lovely time.

Houston, Texas...
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Travel to Egypt - Dec. 2012

leasaher,

It would be great if you could manage to post while you are there at least once, it could many worried minds at ease.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,539 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Travel to Egypt - Dec. 2012

Alyson266 – Whether the museum is open or closed largely depends on what’s happening at the time and you might just be lucky. It will close in the event of serious unrest or expected trouble in or around Tahrir Square but the powers that be do try to keep it open whenever possible or practical. (You may, for example, be asked to use an alternate entrance.) Many visitors have reported visiting the museum during the on-off troubles of the last year.

The current hot spot centres on the Presidential Palace in Heliopolis, a long way from Tahrir Square but the authorities may try to push the protesters back there. Wait and see what’s going on when you are there and hope for the best. If you are worried for your safety, any local tour company will be happy to arrange a visit if and when the museum is open.

Edited: 10:11 am, December 08, 2012
Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Travel to Egypt - Dec. 2012

Hi,

Thank you for the info on the museum, it would be great to be able to visit as it's all part of the Egypt experience but appreciate that it's better to be safe than sorry.

If all goes well (I leave on the 30th Dec and get back on the 10th Jan) I'll post on here to let everyone know how I found it.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Travel to Egypt - Dec. 2012

Alyson 266 - even if Cairo Museum is out-of-bounds during your stay, you will be able to visit Luxor Museum at some point during your Nile Cruise. It is not as extensive as that in Cairo but is well-laid out, displaying a wide range of artefacts with informative labelling - even a couple of mummies. Allow about 2 hours for a browse.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Travel to Egypt - Dec. 2012

Oh that's brilliant! Thank you Pausilypon.