We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice.

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary advice.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the advice so far. so heres my finalised plans.

I have 2 days in Cairo. I land 20.00 Sat in Cairo and am staying in Heliopolis. The next morning(Sunday) I wish to see Cairo. What should I see?, I have all day to explore. I want to see the Egyptian antiquity museum, Bayt al suhaymi(whats peoples thoughts on Bayt as a place to see?), Islamic cairo, Al azar park, anything else?

That night I go to a booked hotel near the pyramids. Next morning (Monday) we go to see the pyramids, sphinx, Giza plateau, sakarra and memphis and possibly Dushur. How long will day 2 take? I ask as we have a 20.00 flight from Cairo to Sharm.

Thanks in Advance all

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice.

Heliopolis is some distance from central Cairo but, since you have all day, you can easily do the Museum (unless you want to take a very leisurely tour of all the exhibits) Islamic Cairo and Coptic Cairo. The pyramids and Sphinx are on the Giza plateau so that’s a ‘three-for’. Even with an early start, day 2 will take all morning and most of the afternoon. (If you want to go inside any of the pyramids at Giza, Sakkara or Dahshur, it will obviously squeeze the time even further.) The airline will want you at the check-in at least an hour before and, if you are going to the airport from the Giza area, it can take an hour or more to get there at that time of the day.

london
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice.

In the museum I only want to see the mummy room and the tutankhamun tomb. Dont really think i have the time nor patience to look at everything in the museum. What else would you suggest to see in Cairo BBeckett? Aside from the pyramids of course. All sugestions welcome from experienced travellers like yourself.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice.

Tut’s tomb is in Luxor’s Valley of the King’s. Much of the stuff found in it is on the second floor in the Cairo Museum. So is the Mummy Room. The Mummy Room is extra LE 100 to go in but the room with Tut’s gold death mask and coffin is free (I know a tourist who was conned into paying money to see them.) Don’t miss some the Old, Middle and New Kingdom exhibits/rooms on the ground floor.

As for Cairo itself, there are several historical mosques, Saladin’s Citadel and Coptic Cairo. There is also the bazaar if you are in the mood for shopping. There is a load of other stuff which you might find appealing. Have a look on a few web sites for possibilities.

Edited: 11:01 am, August 29, 2012
Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
8,036 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary advice.

One of my favourites rooms in the Museum is the animal mummies room which is free.

I would include Ibn Toulon Mosque - climb the minaret for a fabulous view, and Gayer Anderson House (they are next to each other) in Islamic Cairo. The Gayer Anderson House is imo well worth a look for architecture and collectibles, ask the caretaker to show you the secret room for ladies.

Suhaymi house is beautifully restored and also well worth a visit.

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g294201-Activiti…

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
40 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary advice.

from heliopolis 1/2 hr with taxi to azhar, hussien, khan el kahlil then another 1/2 hr via the salah salem street to the citadel you will pass by the azhar park no need to visit, then about 1/4 hr from citadel to the sultan hassan and refaee mosque, another 1 hr to the down town where the museum.

you can do it this way or start with the muserm which you better go early ending with khan el khalili where you better visit at sun set

You said u got 2 days in cairo you may go the pyramids in the second day

london
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary advice.

Hi All,

So Ive changed the trip, So I can see pyramids at Giza, Sphinx, Sekkara, Memphis and Dushur all on first day, going into pyramids and possibly a visit to khan bazaar at night if we have time.

2nd day will be Egyptian museum, Coptic Cairo, Islamic Cairo, and time permitting a smoke in Al Azar park and possibly bayt al suhaymi.

I will def visit the animal mummy room and Ibn Toulon Mosque and gayer anderson house now youve mentioned it. Im sure my wife will appreciate the secret ladies room, whatever its for.

NJ
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary advice.

Oh!! the mummy room inside Egyptian museum costs extra100 pounds? This is awful i guess,i really wanted to see mummies but I guess I won't pay for that.

Edited: 12:00 pm, August 31, 2012
8. Re: Itinerary advice.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:13 pm, August 31, 2012
Edited: 12:13 pm, August 31, 2012
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,692 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary advice.

Heaven_scent2 -

The mummy room in Cairo Museum of Antiquities costa an extra 100LE - Egyptian pounds, that is.

You may see a couple of mummies - at no extra charge - in the Luxor Museum if Luxor is included in you forthcoming tour.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary advice.

The extra 100 Egyptian Pounds is at today’s rate, about $16. The Luxor Museum is LE 80 or about $13 to get in.