We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 day trip to egypt

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Solon, Ohio
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
6 day trip to egypt

Planning to spend 6 days in Egypt next June. My husband and i would like to visit Cairo, Luxor and Mt Sinai. Has anyone visited these areas recently? Price is an issue. We like to stay in hostels or guest houses and tour on our own. What is the best transportation in country.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,556 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 day trip to egypt

Six days doesn’t allow for a lot of leisurely sightseeing even for just Luxor and Cairo. Touring on your own is—with a few qualifications—not a problem. Visiting Mt Sinai on your own, for example, is not recommended at the moment and may be disallowed. When and when does you plane arrive and depart? Not quite sure what you mean by “best” transportation.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 day trip to egypt

Hi Pamela,

6 days should be enough to see the 3 cities, cairo, luxor and sinai as 2 days in each one. main sites in cairo can be covered in 2 full day tours from 08 am to 04 pm as following:

day 1: giza pyramids, sphinx, saqqara and memphis (you can ad dahshour if you are very much interested in pyramids)

day 2: the egyptian museum, the citadel, Mohamed ali mosque and khan el khalili bazaar (you can ad coptic cairo as well)

in luxor you can do it also in 2 full day tours as following:

day 1: the western bank including valley of the kings, valley of the queens and queen hatshepsut temple

day 2: the eastern bank including luxor temple, karnak temple (you can do also luxor museum)

I dont have very good experience with sinai, but you'd need just one night to see Mt Sinai.

If you like to tour these places on your own without a guide I advise you to avoid public transportation, it's a nightmare in cairo due to the very bad traffic and the high population of the city. the best thing is to hire a taxi or a car, your hotel can help you with this. the price of an a/c car will be around $70 to $80 for both of you for a long day about 10 hours. Have a nice trip

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 day trip to egypt

I agree with BB, visiting Mt sinai on your own does not look good idea now, you better book this tour in advance or wait till you get there and book it through your hotel, I know all hotels in sinai arrange such tours.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,556 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 day trip to egypt

If cost is a consideration, you can hire a Cairo taxi for the day for a lot less than $70.

Solon, Ohio
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 day trip to egypt

Thanks for all the speedy responses

Our plane flies into Cairo

I was wondering if it is best to hire a taxi and take the day trips out of Cairo or take the train and stay overnight in Luxor

If we wanted to spend the night at Mt Sinai, how do you arrange for accommodations there?

tx again

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 day trip to egypt

luxor is away fom cairo like 10 hour driving, and an hour flying. the sleeper train is a good option. it leaves cairo at 08 pm, arrives in luxor the next day at 06 am.

You have to contact a hotel in sinai in advance to book your room and your tour of Mt sinai, the hotel can arrange you a transportation from cairo as well. cheers

Solon, Ohio
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 day trip to egypt

Thanks again

should I travel back to Cairo from Luxor or continue from Luxor directly to Mt Sinai

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 day trip to egypt

you better continue from luxor to Mt Sinai to save time, it's about 6 hours driving.

Skane County, Sweden
Level Contributor
117 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 day trip to egypt

Sounds like you would need more time than 6 days! Theres is so much to see!

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
73 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 day trip to egypt

"you better continue from luxor to Mt Sinai to save time, it's about 6 hours driving."

Don't be confused! I have no idea what this guy is talking about. He must have a vehicle that is able to ride on water!

Take a look at the map of Egypt and you will notice that MT Sinai is situated on the Sinai peninsula, which is departed from the mainland of Egypt (where Luxor is situated) by the Gulf of Suez. There was/is a ferry from Hurghada to Sharm el Sheikh, not sure it is in service right now. But be sure the trip from Luxor to Mt Sinai will take you much more than 6 hours driving!