We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cairo first timer, Any info would be appreciated.

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
WEST YORKSHIRE
12 posts
Save Topic
cairo first timer, Any info would be appreciated.

Hello people, I will be travelling to cairo for the first time, Any one have some advise on diving courses, or any marine excursions/ activites,Helicopter tours, Also has any one been on a 4x4 drive through the desserts or camel ride's? Any help would be appreciated.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: cairo first timer, Any info would be appreciated.

Well, most of the activities you are enquiring about are not available in Cairo, but in other places in Egypt:

diving courses, or any marine excursions: You will need to go to Sinai or the Red Sea cost.

Helicopter tours: Not available, but hot Air Baloons are, in Luxor though.

Also has any one been on a 4x4 drive through the desserts: yes sure, but that is in the western desert Oases and in Sinai, the desert around Cairo is nothing special.

camel rides: You can find those in Cairo, near the pyramids. You will need to bargain and agree on the price before you ride, agree on everything, the price, the rout, the duration, etc. An hour tour should cost no more than 50 LE, search for camel and horseback riding and read other posts on that issue.

WEST YORKSHIRE
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cairo first timer, Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks for your reply darsh, do you know the best way to travel to the oasis dessert from cairo & how much for the trip/duration? would you reccomend? also where can i get the balloon ride? lastly is they any sort of automobilia excursion close to cairo. e.g quad biking etc... Thanks for your help. much appreciated!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: cairo first timer, Any info would be appreciated.

There are five oases in the western desert. Many local travel agents can help you arranging trips there. The closest of them to Cairo is Bahareya, about 250 Klm to the south west. Be prepared though that they are very hot in the summer, I do mean very. The rough guide on Egypt has a nice section on the oases.

You can stay there for 3-4 days. I have never been to it, but my friends who are into camping and desert safari are regulers there.

Quad biking is in Sharm and if you put it in the search tool here you will get many useful posts on the topic.

Do the same with the balloons. Many people who went on that trip in Luxor had posted their opinions including recommended deals. Just type Luxor balloons in the search box.

WEST YORKSHIRE
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cairo first timer, Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help darsh.

WEST YORKSHIRE
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: cairo first timer, Any info would be appreciated.

Hi thanks for your reply darsh, can you tell me if i need a visa to travel from the uk or can i get a tourist one at cairo airport

for a 7 nights stay , Also do you need to register with the police if your a tourist? Thanx!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: cairo first timer, Any info would be appreciated.

You can buy your visa at the airport on arrival and you do not need to register with the police.

WEST YORKSHIRE
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: cairo first timer, Any info would be appreciated.

Nice 1 darsh!

On Vacation
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: cairo first timer, Any info would be appreciated.

I took an amazing trip to Cairo, Luxor and the White Desert with a group of friends about a month and a half ago. We booked everything (airport transfers, hotels, private guides and transportation) through adventureinegypt.com . The best part of our trip was the 3 days we spent in the Western Desert- we drove about 6 hours to Bahariya and spent the first night there, then the next day we spent most of the day in jeeps going off-road through the Black Desert, the Rose Desert and even saw a sand dune! That night our guides took us to the White Desert for camping- they set up a tent and cooked us dinner, although we all ended up sleeping around the campfire and under the stars. I think this was probably the most beautiful place I have ever seen!

We had such a good time on our trip and were really pleased with their services and the price- I hope to go back again next year!

WEST YORKSHIRE
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: cairo first timer, Any info would be appreciated.

Thanx giza girl, sounds like you had a fantastic time out there, the dessert tour camping etc... you did for three days is exactly what i was looking to do, sounds great, will look on the that adventure tour operator site. sure your next trip is as enjoable. Best regards shaz...

On Vacation
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: cairo first timer, Any info would be appreciated.

glad to help! And, have fun!!!

:-)