We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MS Serenade

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Topic
MS Serenade

Any reviews over last couple of months ?

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MS Serenade

There is a thread entitled " Going on MS Serenade Nile Cruise in March" on here which contains a review from July. Sorry that I can't link to the thread at the mo but am writing this on my iPod. If you put MS Serenade in thè search box it should come up (says he hopefully)

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,661 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MS Serenade

Here is the link: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294205-i9426-k5…

Birmingham, United...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: MS Serenade

M.S. Serenade Nile Cruise boat Jan 2013 (Tess)

I travelled on this boat via a holiday arranged by a U.K. company, who contracted with Egyptian companies `youtravel.com` and `Flash Tours`, based in Cairo.

The boat was sold as a 5* vessel, it was more like 3*. Around 60% of people on the boat suffered from severe stomach problems, one requiring medical intervention. I had gone for 5 stars in order to avoid this.

Flash tours are keen to extract as much money out of you as possible from the moment you arrive in Luxor. They have the Visa purchase clearly sorted - which all felt legitimate after a long flight. They charge £15 (English) for something that is advertised as $15 (US).

Try to locate the official Visa purchase counter and take $US to pay. Flash tours will make every effort to divert you from this and con you into thinking theirs is the official one.

Flash tours do the hard sell of trips when you get to the boat on the first day. They do not emphasise that they have a 24hour cancellation policy to get a refund. They will not give one penny back if they can avoid it

Once you get the tummy bug you will be hard pushed to give a minutes’ notice. The stomach issue is severe and enduring and you will not want to use public conveniences at any of the sites. You will certainly not be able to queue!!

Book your trips on the day you wish to go.

Do not use Flash Tours as they charge around 10 times more for trips you can buy from an official travel agent shop on the main streets of Luxor or Aswan.

Youtravel.com and Flash tours organise tip giving at the end of the holiday. They give you envelopes and say the money will be shared out between all the crew of the boat. We were told by some staff that this did not happen. I would suggest you ignore the envelopes and give your money directly to the boat staff that you feel deserve it.

The boat is very poorly maintained. It seems to only have one functioning engine. We had to be towed from Esna back to Luxor, some 70km. There seemed to be no effort to repair the boat or to fumigate it before the next lot of unsuspecting tourist arrived.

If you get the tummy bug, take the medication they have readily available on board. It works better than anything you will take from the U.K. Good luck!!

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MS Serenade

Tess,

I have just copied your post onto the Luxor thread as it will be of great interest there.

5. Re: MS Serenade

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 19, 2014