We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Read about our trip to Cairo

England
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Read about our trip to Cairo

We recently returned from our 1 week trip to Cairo - before we left a number of people gave us some really useful advice on this forum which helped us a great deal. Now we would like to tell others about our trip.

We stayed at the Semiramis Intercontinental and found this hotel to be very central and comfortable. We had a great view from our balcony over the Nile, it was quiet and reasonably clean. The staff were friendly and very accomodating. At this point I should add that we were travelling with two children. The restaurants at the hotel were also very good. The security is tight as with all places in Cairo!

Although we had considered and consulted with some tour guides before we left we decided to get out there first and then find a guide. On our first day we got chatting with some other tourists and found a guide. We contacted him and initially arranged a day trip to Giza. This trip was fantastic, our Guide, Emad, arrived on time with a very comfortable air conditioned people carrier. The children especially liked the big car as they had room to mess around.

By the end of the day we decided, after agreeing a price, to arrange a few more trips with the guide and driver - he took us to Saqarra, the citadel, Old Cairo, Coptic quarter, Gayer Andersen Museum all for a very reasonable price. He was also very knowledgeable about the history of Egypt and spoke reasonably good English - and didn't mind repeating things to us even when we asked the same question many times.

As we had decided to take our week leisurely we did not have to book in advance with him and he would call us each night to ask if we needed anything - we could call him the afternoon before to arrange something for the following day. He also advised us on things we could do by ourselves such as taking a boat trip or milling in the bazaar.

We were lucky to find Emad and as a result we had a wonderful trip - we would have no hesitation in recommending him to others.

Anyone who would like to contact him can do so via e-mail to emadhadeda@hotmail.com

his mobile number is 0020106093013

Despite the dreadful pollution on our last two days we had a great time in Cairo - the people are warm and welcoming and we look forward to going again.

Sydney
Level Contributor
874 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Read about our trip to Cairo

Ash

I couldn't tell you how pleased I was with your report and that you had such a good time. I see that you did go to lots of the places I particularly hoped you would - such as Gayer Anderson, Citadel etc. I had not heard of the Gayer Anderson Museum before I went,and I really thought it was great.

Welcome back. It has made it worthwhile typing all the reports on this forum when I hear back from someone like yourselves.

Vikki

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
110 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Read about our trip to Cairo

Hi Ash, may I ask how much Emad charges to drive your family around for 1 day? We are going this May with our kids and we have 1 day free from our tour company.

England
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Read about our trip to Cairo

Hi - sorry for the late reply haven't checked the forum for a while!

It really depends on whether you want a car & driver only, or car, driver and guide - it also depends on where you want to go, some places are easy to get to others a far distance. Emad won't rip you off and will give you a good price once you tell him what you require. Also remember that 'tips' are on top !

Might be worth contacting him before you go and getting a price you can then compare it with any others you have contacted. Let us know how you get on.

England
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Read about our trip to Cairo

Hi Studioworks (Vikki)

Thank you for all the help & advice you gave before we left for Cairo -as you read we took much of your advice and are very grateful.

kind regards

Ash

Sydney
Level Contributor
874 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Read about our trip to Cairo

Ash,

Great to hear from you and that you had such a good time. Makes posting on this forum worthwhile.

It is where I gained a lot of information for my trip to Dubai from, which helped me so much. That is why I continue to post on this forum and on Amman - there are not many respondents on either!