We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi from giza to cairo

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
385 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
taxi from giza to cairo

We are arriving to Cairo by the end of May. We're going to stay at Meridiens Pyramids in Giza. I know it's about 30 minutes from Cairo if we take a taxi. How many people can go in 1 taxi (we ara 4 adults).Is it sure for us to take a taxi at night? how much does it cost to go from Giza to Cairo?

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Giza
Giza
Giza Governorate, Egypt
1. Re: taxi from giza to cairo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:43 pm, April 17, 2008
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi from giza to cairo

The price for the yellow cab is 3.5 flag fall + 1 LE per Klm. So, the price to downtown would be almost the same if not even a bit cheaper than the black and white, but of course much more convenient. Taxis of all kinds are safe to take day or night. Many taxis would be roomy enough to accommodate the 4 of you at the same time.

With black and white cabs, agree on the price before you ride.

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
385 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi from giza to cairo

And the distance between Cairo and Giza is...?

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Giza
Giza
Giza Governorate, Egypt
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi from giza to cairo

Let me explain:

Literally, map wise, the distance is just a 200 meter long bridge on the Nile. Cairo is everything on the eastern bank of the Nile and Giza is everything on the western bank. Both are called together Grand Cairo. They are really one city.

In practice, this whole Grand Cairo, is called Cairo, the part of Giza where the pyramids are, where you will stay, is called El Haram (in Arabic it means Pyramid district), the part of Giza on the Nile which is facing Cairo is called Giza and the part of Cairo where the city center is, is called Downtown.

So the distance you are looking for between El Haram and Downtown is about 15 kilometers and it takes between 30 minutes and 1 hour depending on traffic.

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Giza
Giza
Giza Governorate, Egypt
Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
385 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi from giza to cairo

Thankyou Darsh! I really appreciate your post

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi from giza to cairo

Darsh, can you tell me if the taxis can fit 5 adults?

Wellington
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: taxi from giza to cairo

Just ask the Hotel to get you a Taxi,

Not that it matters as there will be taxi's out side anyway, A lot of Taxi's are station wagons so there will be no trouble getting one of those. Dont worry about the Taxi thing, They are every where, 30 pound is a fair price, so what if he asks for 50 its so little anyway,Try and go out to saqqara and see the Pyramids its better than Giza, But you still gotta see Giza. Saqqara you can crawl through the Red Pyramid at your lesure, No charge, But Give the Old Chap a few Dollars, it isnt much and Believe me they do need the Tips, 150 to 200 for the Taxi to Saqqara and you will never reget the Trip, Of all the Tours in Egypt I have been on That is the best value and you see Egypt as it is.

Cheers Ockerr

Mentioned in this post
Giza
Giza
Giza Governorate, Egypt
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
3,319 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: taxi from giza to cairo

I think 4 people especially on arrival and having luggage will be hard to fit in a regular taxi or even the yellow ones, as the luggage need room, I would suggest to rent a van for this lift, you can contact any of the travel agencies recommended here in TA or even the guides to arrange for you van for this transportation as you will sure have luggages, at least 4 pieces and a regular taxi can not carry all this, price for such a lift can be bit more expensive than a regular taxi but you will have lots of rooms for the luggages

St. Augustine, FL
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: taxi from giza to cairo

You will have no problem at the airport finding a van for that many people and luggage.

Definitely go to Giza and also Dahshur, a little ways to the south. My husband and I have been in 6th of Oct. City for almost a year. When we went to Dahshur there were only about 14 people there. This was in late February.

Have a good trip.

Mentioned in this post
Giza
Giza
Giza Governorate, Egypt
Dahshur
Dahshur
656 Reviews
Cairo, Egypt
Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
3,319 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: taxi from giza to cairo

Taxis are plenty at airport, BUT for a van it must be with a pre booking, there is no vans availble to take there upon arrival, either you do as I suggested or you may also contact Airport Suttle company to arrange one for you as they do not have plenty