We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash or traveller's cheques?

London
7 posts
Save Topic
Cash or traveller's cheques?

Hi

I was wondering, how convenient is it to cash traveller's cheques in cairo? Or is it better to take cash?

Lawrenceburg...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash or traveller's cheques?

It is no problem to cash traveller's checks in Cairo. There are both American Express offices and Thomas Cook offices throughout the city. Also, there is a large American Express Building and banks that will cash them. Many motels and shops also will cash them for you. I do not know what kind of checks you use, but I had no problem cashing other brands at the above sites.

I would not recommend carrying large amounts of cash anywhere in the world.

Lawrenceburg...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash or traveller's cheques?

I had no problem cashing traveller's checks in Cairo. There are banks that will exchange them and there are American Express and Thomas Cook businesses there. I had no problem using either. Also, some motels will do the exchange for you.

I do not recommend carrying large sums of cash anywhere in the world.

Milton Keynes UK
Level Contributor
114 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash or traveller's cheques?

The www.holidaytruths.co.uk site mostly recommends taking cash and a credit card. The exchange rate for sterling is better over there. When we go in April we will be taking only a few E�� which someone gave us and the rest in sterling (with the trusty credit card of course).