We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairo April 2013 fly in... train out

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nuneaton
Level Contributor
179 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Cairo April 2013 fly in... train out

I am hoping to fly to Cairo in April 2013. I have a few questions....

Best airport to fly from when you live near Birmingham?

How many days to see the top sights?

Recommended places apart from Cairo museum and pyramids?

Any tips on the trains to Luxor? we are considering the day train to see the views... is it worth it?

any other advice gladly received, we are hoping to spend a few days in cairo, train to luxor for a few days, then coach to Hurghada.

State College...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairo April 2013 fly in... train out

I've been to Cairo twice. Personally I did not like the trains at all. For the same cost, you can just fly out wherever you want to go. Its faster and more comfortable. That is what we did when we went. The trains are a nightmare and it is a long torturous ride. Apart from Cairo museum and pyramids, I recommend going to Khan El Khalili. It is a huge area with shops and restaurants. Citadel is another good place to visit. Other things we did when we went was a Nile River cruise which was awesome. We did the cruise at night. We had a nice dinner, live musicians and belly dancers for entertainment. Also, walking around Tahir Square is a lot of fun as there are tons of shops and vendors of all of kinds (Don't know how it is now after the revolution). People are very nice and friendly and have no problems helping you out if you are looking for directions. If you have further questions feel free to contact me. I have been thinking of going back to Cairo in January of next year....thats how much I loved it! I'm sure you will like it a lot too :-)

Have Fun

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
8,077 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairo April 2013 fly in... train out

Hi Kate,

Its difficult to answer the "top sights" and the amount of time to allocate without knowing your interests and dislikes.

I could spend a week in Islamic Cairo and still crave more but I'm nuts about Cairo.

Have a look in the Things to do in the Cairo and Luxor and see if any of those interest you, then we can give you an idea on the length of time to spend to see those places.

If you are not really interested in many of them then three days in Cairo would be okay to see the basics - Giza pyramids,Saqqara, a bit of Islamic Cairo, Citadel, Khan el Khalili market, museum,etc .

Three or four to see the basics in Luxor like Valley of the Kings, Queens, Nobles, Hatshepsut, Karnak and Luxor Temple, museum, I've spent weeks in both places and still have a to do list.

tripadvisor.com.au/Attractions-g294201-Activ…

tripadvisor.com.au/Attractions-g294205-Activ…

Personally I enjoy train travelling in Egypt but I agree with the previous poster, the day trip would be torturous, there are often delays of several hours and the views are not that awesome.

However if you take the overnight sleeper you will save on a nights accomodation and be travelling when asleep, so that is a plus. The sleeper in my opinion is fine, clean and bearable.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairo April 2013 fly in... train out

With regard to your question about the best airport to fly from, when based near Birmingham, it really depends on whether you're looking for direct flights or are willing to transit at some other airport.

If you're only looking at direct flights, then I'm afraid Heathrow; flying with either Egyptair (www.egyptair.com/English/Pages/default.aspx) or BA (britishairways.com/travel/home/public/en_gb…), is going to be your only option.

Whilst both these airlines provide perfectly acceptableservices. the big problem with direct flights is that, unless you can get them at a promotional price, they do tend to be more expensive than those involving a mid-journey transit; not to mention the fat that getting to and from LHR can be a real pain (NB. BA won't even let you search for flights from Birmingham - Cairo).

Thankfully, if you're willing to go down the two part journey route, your local airport (Birmingham International/BHX) provides you with lots of options. Just having had a quick look at the list of airlines that operate flights from Birmingham (birminghamairport.co.uk/destinations/airline…) shows that the list includes Air France, Lufthansa, Turkish Airlines. KLM, Swiss and Emirates, so you're even more spoiled for choice than we are, in Manchester.

The BHX gives some information on the airlines themselves and links to their websites, which makes it fairly easy to hunt around the various carriers for the best deals.

4. Re: Cairo April 2013 fly in... train out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 11, 2013