We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Egyptian Museum Hours

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
182 posts
568 reviews
Save Topic
Egyptian Museum Hours

Does anyone know the hours of the museum in Cairo? Previously, the hours were from 9:00 am to 6:30 pm everyday. Is this correct? Have the hours changed since the revolution or the issues of last month? Thanks.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
182 posts
568 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Egyptian Museum Hours

Additionally, how does the camera check work at the museum? Does your camera go into a separate room, is it stacked on a table, can you lock it up? Can you keep the camera in your bag? Is there a charge for the camera check? Thanks.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
182 posts
568 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Egyptian Museum Hours

Another question that I have...Are there museum guides for hire outside the building? If so, what is the going cost for 3-4 hours? Are you playing roulette hoping to hire a knowledgeable guide? Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,225 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Egyptian Museum Hours

I forget the exact closing time. When I was last there, it was Ramadan and it closed early. Yes there are usually 'freelance' guides hanging around and yes it’s potluck. No idea of the cost (never used a guide) but I’m sure some bargaining would be involved. A good book or two might do just as well. Cameras were checked and kept in a room.

Edited: 7:16 am, February 29, 2012
Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
10,087 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Egyptian Museum Hours

Since the revolution there have been some reports of early closing on Fridays, maybe someone in Egypt can find out for us??

You can take your camera into the grounds of the museum and take photos there, NO you can't take your camera inside in your bag, it will be x-rayed a couple of times. You check your camera in for free and receive a numbered ticket, which you hand back when you leave.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
44 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Egyptian Museum Hours

We were there last Friday. The museum closes at 5pm. They will start pushing people to the exits at 4:45. I would leave your camera at your hotel, unless you have to take it. The only thing that will change the above closing time is if there is a large protest in Tahir Square.

This is a great time to visit, but also a bit sad. We were the only ones in the room with King Tut's mask for about 10 mins. The gift shop is closed and you get a good view of the burned out interior ministry building as you exit the museum. Hope this helps.

6. Re: Egyptian Museum Hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 am, March 01, 2012
Edited: 5:05 am, March 01, 2012
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
182 posts
568 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Egyptian Museum Hours

@tpwoofs: Why leave the camera, is there a hassle of checking it? I plan on hitting the tower after the museum for dinner and sunset. Maybe I can just check the camera body and keep the lenses with my bag.

@everyone else: Thanks for the replies and information.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
44 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Egyptian Museum Hours

There was no line or issue to check items... Our guide told us not to bring the camera... He was concerned about theft. Not sure if there has been an issue with theft or not. But, based on the state of the museum, i would not feel comfortable checking an expensive camera there.

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
336 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Egyptian Museum Hours

Guides will approach you. Negotiate price. I was over charged at 80 EGP for an hour. I was jet lagged. Very stupid!

NE UK
Level Contributor
609 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Egyptian Museum Hours

I have never myself, or heard of anyone else, having any issue with leaving a camera. The check-in is on your left as you walk through the gates. The ticket kiosk is on the right. Don't hand your camera in straight away as there are some interesting photo's to be taken in the garden area before you enter the museum. Good Luck