We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wheelchair

Orange county, Ca
Level Contributor
186 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
wheelchair

We will be in Cairo for 6 days and we were going to bring a wheelchair for my husband as he has a hard time walking for any length of time. Are the streets such that he will be even be able to use the wheelchair or should we just leave it at home?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: wheelchair

It depends on what are you going to do in Cairo. The Egyptian Museum for example is accusable for wheel chair users. Forget it though in the pyramids and the Islamic Cairo. The Citadel is more than 90% accusable I would claim. If you want to enjoy a stroll in the Azhar Park, a wheelchair would be a treat. It could be used also in shopping malls like City Stars and would become handy at the airport. However, walking in the streets with it would be quite a nightmare since side walks are higher than street level with a considerable distance that is sometimes even difficult for fit people like me to climb! Sidewalks in many places also are either not paved well, occupied with shops’ belongings and cafes or even none existing at all. So, moral of the story is, bring your wheelchair if you will hire a car so you can leave the chair in the car trunk, get it out in those places where you can use it and keep it there elsewhere.

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: wheelchair

Egypt is not wheelchair friendly place. Darsh is spot on with advice.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa