We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it safe to travel to egypt

Johannesburg, South...
4 posts
Save Topic
is it safe to travel to egypt

hi , i am planning a trip to egypt only in Feb next year (2012)- i have already booked though and am getting abit worried about the situation. does anyone have any advice or feedback on whethere i should cancel or wait it out?

thanks

Paterson, New Jersey
1 post
Save Reply
101. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

I will be traveling to Cairo in a few day and then going to Israel to the border,

Is it Safe to cross the border from Egypt to Israel?

Kettering, OH
4 posts
Save Reply
102. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

I'd like to go to Egypt and take my 4 year old son. I'm female and it would be only the two of us traveling. The purpose is to visit my son's grandmother who is elderly. I will need to arrange ground transportation on my own. Has anyone been to Egypt in the past 2-3 months and can tell me what is the real situation related to foreigner safety? I need to go to Alexandria probably via Cairo. Any input will be appreciated.

Edited: 12:05 pm, January 16, 2013
east london
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
103. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

hi bonvoyage4us...my husband and i were in egypt (cairo specifically) on holiday 3months ago (at the time of the active post election riots). i was also very concerned and contemplated cancelling. however we were extremely pleasantly surprised. and our hotel was extremely close to the notorious tahrir square - infact we walked through it numerous times. as usual, the media most definitely exaggerates and offers a rather untrue picture of things. security at hotels etc is definitely increased as a precautionary measure, and was welcomed. however the attitude of the people in general toward foreigners was nothing but kind and welcoming. tourist sites however have experienced a decline in the number of visitors, so the hawkers etc are quite unpleasantly pestering. that was our only complaint. an otherwise chaotically lovely country, with wonderful people. wrt transportation - traffic is a nightmare day and night, and the drivers in cairo make your heart skip many beats! and not in a good way at all:) safety wise, registered taxis are very safe and clearly marked.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
104. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

All is safe here is a link for a Canadian clients just left Egypt this week

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g294201-d338…

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,674 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
105. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

Magdy M hasn't bothered to state his interest in tourists visiting, but his profile states -

Vacations to go travel "Egypt" managed and directed by Mr. Magdy Mohamed Abdel Aziz & Mrs. Walaa Ezz El Din (Husband and Wife and Partners"

It may be safe in his opinion (and possibly even in mine!) but while the UK FCO at fco.gov.uk/en/…egypt states things like:-

"The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to the Governorate of North Sinai due to the significant increase in criminal activity."

It means that if you visit the areas stated, you will have no insurance etc. for anything even accidents and illness.

Edited: 4:59 pm, January 18, 2013
australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
106. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

I have not been to Egypt recently - but hopefully my advice will be of some help towards your dilemma about your Relative & travelling to such a wonderful country.

As you will know Cairo to Alexandria is not that far by road [or even rail]. Like most places in the world & many people confirm - "trouble spots" tend to be very local thus make great vantage points for the reporting of?

Their are many young Egyptian ladies involved in the travel world & operate very freely in their country. Depending where you wish to go & how you feel about it is what it is all about.

I keep in touch with 3 Egyptian ladies involved in the local tourist industry - 1 in Cairo, 1 in Alexandria, 1 in Luxor. I am sure they would be of assistance or if no,t be able to offer advice or help with any of your travel plans or concerns.

If you wish to take it further contact me & I will give you their contact address's.

Regards john

PS. At the very least they could give you pre - advice - thus allay some of your concerns maybe then able to plan with them from the comfort of Your own home!

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
107. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

Dear elraf I think everybody come to Egypt at that time he knows that the travel insurance will not cover anything for them but there are a travelers like to come and visit Egypt and I think nowadays its safe that's way I have mentioned for her it's safe .

Yes in my profile I have mentioned that I am the managing director of vacations to go travel in Egypt to be honest with the TA members and also I am try to tell the TA members the truth from my point of view

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,674 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
108. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

Magdy M

I disagree - Many UK tourists are just looking for inexpensive holidays in the sun and do NOT know that their insurance may not be valid because they do not do any research!

I have met such innocents in Luxor who have asked me questions such as 'Where is the Beach?' and 'Where are the pyramids?'

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
109. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

All of the clients I have met they research well and they know all the details it seems the people you are talking about they did not even follow the news in their country as a lot of people told me there are a daily news about the Egyptian situation in USA, Canada and Uk and the news all the time warring the people to travel to Egypt especially Sinai

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,747 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
110. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

Magdy M

“...a lot of people told me there are a daily news about the Egyptian situation in USA, Canada and Uk...”

I’m afraid you give the western media too much credit. The only time there is “daily news about the Egyptian situation” is when—whether it be an election, a riot in Cairo or trouble in Sinai—there is something newsworthy to report. Otherwise, there is little or nothing said.