We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it safe to travel to egypt

Johannesburg, South...
4 posts
Save Topic
is it safe to travel to egypt

hi , i am planning a trip to egypt only in Feb next year (2012)- i have already booked though and am getting abit worried about the situation. does anyone have any advice or feedback on whethere i should cancel or wait it out?

thanks

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
123 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

Hey!

Is Egypt also expecting to have a safe and peaceful New Year's eve 2012?

I would love to be there!!

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

We are 2 Americans who are just back from an 18-Day journey from Cairo south to Abu Simbel with many stops along the way. We never once felt threatened by any potential negative actions. In fact, we felt warmly received by mostly friendly people. More people welcomed us and thanked us for visiting Egypt than in any other country we have ever visited. The petty "hassles" that you may read about on this Forum can mostly be avoided with advance knowledge and planning.

We were in Cairo and leaving on the day of the last demonstration that led to violence. We were unaware of it until we landed in Luxor later that day and turned on TV in our hotel room. Later that evening in Luxor, we saw a small peaceful march of people holding signs. One of the marchers smiled at us, waved and yelled, "welcome to Egypt." We were on a horse-carriage (caleche) and instructed our driver to get us out of the area. The march stayed peaceful and we never felt threatened. There was no sign to us of any problems on the remainder of our trip.

We believe that anything that has happened has not been aimed at tourists. So it is a matter of keeping your wits about you and avoiding areas and times where demonstrations may exist, like Tahrir Square on Fridays. Beyond those areas and times you should feel safe if all stays as it is today.

Keep up with local news reports and do not feel like you must book far in advance. Tourist numbers are way down and there are many openings, and very small or non-existent crowds at the ancient sites.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
13. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 am, November 22, 2011
Cairo, Egypt
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

it is safe .. I'm in Cairo now and it is secured than most cities in the world people are so friendly ... wish you a nice trip ... Aladin

Templecombe, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

We are going to Hurghada, I think it will be safe, what do you think. In February 2012

Mentioned in this post
Hurghada
Hurghada
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
123 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

Excellent post, Arthur!! So touching!

Edited: 2:24 am, November 22, 2011
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

I suggest people check their travel insurance very carefully at the moment. When things were at their wost earlier in the year, people we know were badly delayed and were not covered. They did not come to any physical harm but their holiday was ruined and they were considerably out of pocket.

18. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 am, November 22, 2011
Buffalo, New York
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

i am traveling with family next month, i will be in cairo and sharm el sheikh.

I am concrened watching news today, any advise

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
212 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

My family are also heading to Egypt for a tour, at the end of December, so we will be in a group situation much of the time.

It devastates me to even consider not going. We feel that the demonstrations etc are not aimed at tourism but the chance of being caught up in the periphery of one scares me because of our teens traveling with us.

We wish the country a fast and happy outcome and hope to bring our tourist dollar over there as well as see amazing things, but of course, there is still trepidation.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa