We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it safe to travel to egypt

Johannesburg, South...
4 posts
Save Topic
is it safe to travel to egypt

hi , i am planning a trip to egypt only in Feb next year (2012)- i have already booked though and am getting abit worried about the situation. does anyone have any advice or feedback on whethere i should cancel or wait it out?

thanks

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

Where abouts in Egypt are you going? I would suggest that Egypt is generally safe.

Johannesburg, South...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

hi i am going to cairo for 4 days and sharm el sheikh for 3.

the 4 days in cairo will be mostly on tours to the pyramaids and the nile and so forth

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

I would suggest you post the Cairo question in the Cairo section, although the main touristy areas of Cairo will be safe.

As for Sharm, yes that is safe.

australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

I am in regular facebook/email contact with people in Egypt. i have been 3 times to many places, 1 time alone for 3 weeks on a hired push bike around > karnak > thebes > luxor > both east & west banks, also entire DAY train journey to aswan > then wandered alone around there! They are desperate for tourists, so why would any thing befall you. If in doubt use a local guide in each place - they have much knowledge - very helpful - help with language, hotels, drivers, historic sites, bookings, food/eating out/in! I have used them & drivers in the past - they are your' local friend"? They appreciate you choosing & using their services, they are normally very cheap more so now. I still keep in touch with some female guides & know some english speaking drivers [1 especially who is a family man]. Check my past reviews or contact me if you wish any help. PS. I am a scot now living in australia! Have no monetary interests there!

Johannesburg, South...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

hi - thanks alot for your post - would def appreciate any help or contacts of guides or where i should look for a reliable safe guide.

Australia
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

Here is a list of guides that have been recommended by members over the years

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294201-c85398/Cair…

On the "attractions' in Cairo page, there are some reviews given by members about various tours/guides/ companies etc

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g294201-Activi…

I would suggest that you email a lot of them, see who answers your questions best. I don't usually hire guides in Cairo as I prefer to knock about myself but I emailed over 20 in 2009 and only three really listened to what I asked, so the elimination process was easy.

7. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:57 am, October 06, 2011
Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

Hi,

I am in Cairo and I can tell you it's generally safe. If you're coming in the beginning of next year, you should just wait it out. You never know what happens, might still be the same here or change...

California
Level Contributor
8 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

I too am planning to travel to Egypt in May 2012 and was hoping that someone might be able to provide genuine insight with respect to the situation there. I have combed blogs, travel sites and the travel gov site and though there has been mention of possible demonstrations, it merely advises to steer clear but that there are no real travel advisories. I realize media tends to sensationalize things and wanted to see if anyone has recently gone and if so how they felt while there.

It would be me, and three friends (3 women in 30s and 1 guy in 30s). I really want to go to Egypt, but don't want to be so determined to go that I put myself and others at risk.

Also, as a side note, we will not be doing any tours, save for the trip to the sphinx/pyramids.

Many thanks for any information provided!

Istanbul, Turkey
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: is it safe to travel to egypt

Hi all

The current situation of the country is fine. I dont think there is danger to travel in Egypt anymore even if protests running few locations. We believe all will settle after elections. Here is a review from one of our guests travelled Egypt last week;

" Here in Cairo, we liked the city, but it took a bit of getting used to. However, despite the sidewalks being very broken and uneven, we walked and walked, got used to the noise, and found the city very interesting.

It has so much to offer, the prices are very good, and the people are so very polite.

Except for the traffic, never did we feel the city or country to be any more dangerous than other cities we have traveled in.

We had a wonderful trip, thanks in very large measure to TSC, and would highly recomend the trip to anyone who is wise enough to try to stay away from demontrations.

We, by the way, walked great distances, even until 10:00 or later at night, and never saw one demonstration.

Knowing now what my wife and I have just experienced, I would not miss the opportinity to see Egypt. "

If you have any questions or wants to get more information for the current situation, just send us message!

Enjoy your travel!

Okan