We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cost of a guide in Cairo

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
cost of a guide in Cairo

What is a fair price of hiring a private guide for a day in Cairo? Appreciate any recommendations.

Whitecourt, Alberta
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: cost of a guide in Cairo

YOU NEED A GUIDE!!! Despite what the others have said they did not mention the Tourist Police. You have to let them know in advance (usually 24 hours) before you go anywhere. For example we went on a trip to Abu Simbul (apx 2hours outside of Aswan - a must see) a convey of police protected vehicles leaves to get there at certain times and comes back the same. You can't just show up and join the convoy you have to have all the right documents and the tourist police must know you are coming. We did some walking around the city and it was okay that way...BUT WATCH FOR THE TRAFFIC. Also you never quite know when you are entering the unprotected areas. The tourist police will protect you when you are in the designated areas. We took a tour with TOPDECK and they were awesome! Everyone on our trip got sick (except me) and the tour guide Rafik made sure that he rearranged transportation so that people would be comfortable (we were suppose to take a bus back from Luxor to Cairo but we took the train instead so that we would have toilets). One other VERY IMPORTANT THING...DONT I REPEAT DO NOT GO TO THE ZOO! It was one of the worst experiences of my life...starving animals...cannibalism (gerbals eating other gerbals)...freaky!

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
313 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cost of a guide in Cairo

Well try and mail me or try to open my page link to see the offers there under the one day tour page and well just to cut it short for u and to make it easier on u if u just want a guide and u can arrange the transportations on ur own so if it's from 9 am till 5 or 6 pm it's 20 USD and it's not perperson......my link is under my profile...thanks

3. Re: cost of a guide in Cairo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:40 pm, February 20, 2006