We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash or ATM's

Ohio
Level Contributor
324 posts
434 reviews
Save Topic
Cash or ATM's

Which do people suggest?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash or ATM's

Both..... I always take cash and my card.......

2. Re: Cash or ATM's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:42 am, October 19, 2012
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash or ATM's

I also agree with Beezely. I carried cash and had my card. My extra cash I kept in the safe in my room and only carried what I felt I needed for the day but had the card on hand just in case I ran low.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,121 posts
2,006 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash or ATM's

Take your ATM & small amounts of cash as most times the locals will say they don't have change !

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,129 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash or ATM's

I had trouble with my debit card at some ATMs and another traveller had her one credit/debit card refused everywhere. I never travel with less than 2 credit cards, and 2 debit cards (one set always in a money belt or safe). This is one trip I brought a lot more cash with me in order to exchange than on other trips. I usually get my local cash from the debit machine, but had read a few days before the trip that the Egyptian debit machines can be finicky.

Be sure to let all your card companies know beforehand that you will be travelling to Egypt so that there is less of a chance they will freeze your card. Paying hotel bills and bigger purchases with cards are no problem, but carry cash for lunches, tips, etc.

6. Re: Cash or ATM's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 08, 2012