We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tahrir Square and Down Town Cairo

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Tahrir Square and Down Town Cairo

We will be in Cairo in 2 weeks and have a reservation with a hotel close to Tahrir Square. Can't seem to find any good info on the status of the protests at Tahrir or the general safety of down town Cairo. I understand that there are protests on Fridays.

Should we be concerned if we stay in this part of the city? We had hoped to just walk around and take in the core of Cairo rather than be walled up on the edge of the city.

If we walk around this area at night to find a resturant we should be ok?

Is it safe to visit Coptic Cairo and Islamic Cairo?

Thanks for your help

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tahrir Square and Down Town Cairo

I can recommend City View Hotel, stayed there in October, here is my review

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g294201-d119…

It is close to everything and around $50 per night.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
259 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tahrir Square and Down Town Cairo

If you want to be Downtown and by Tahrir, then City View is the place. I actually like the Victoria Hotel which is a bit to the northeast and is right by Ramses Station. I like having a little bit of buffer space between my hotel and the square personally, but either would be good I believe.

Valletta, Malta
6 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Tahrir Square and Down Town Cairo

Thank you all for your help .

I will be taking your advice .

Your help was greatly appreciated

Kind regards

Isa

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Tahrir Square and Down Town Cairo

Try the City View. It is about one block from Tahrir. They will treat you well. Room is about 65US a night. Good spot if you want to watch what is going on at Tahrir. We stayed there just after the revolution. Great times.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Tahrir Square and Down Town Cairo

hi am going to tahrir square down town cario on 10n march is it safe to travel solo? 2013

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Tahrir Square and Down Town Cairo

Do you mean staying in the area or actually going to Tahrir?

Downtown and the area around Tahrir is fine and there's no reason to worry about traveling solo. Visiting the square itself is another issue- you can totally do it without problems, but you need to be very aware of your surroundings. Don't take pictures of people without their permission. The square can be a happy place, an angry place, a sad place, and a lot of shades in between. A good rule of thumb is if you see families walking around with children, as is often the case, things are fine. If you see mainly groups of young men, you'll probably not want to spend a lot of time there. People are still mostly friendly but these days it's barely even activists, it's mostly just people who have nowhere else to go. Also I hate to say it, but it's really not advisable for women to be there alone.

But that said if you are talking about staying in the area, walking around downtown, and checking out Tahrir for a few minutes, yes, that's perfectly fine and there are many foreigners who do it daily.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Tahrir Square and Down Town Cairo

thanks yes stayin there as a solo

UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Tahrir Square and Down Town Cairo

Good advice form Modesto111. Unless you truly know what you are doing and are prepared to ignore Foreign Office recommendations, don't treat Tahrir Square as a tourist photo stop.Sure, it may be absolutely fine much of the time but taking unnecessary risks and getting caught up in a sudden protest is not something to be treated lightly.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
102 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Tahrir Square and Down Town Cairo

My wife and I was just there a couple of days ago. We also stayed somewhere near Tahrir Square and after visiting the Museum, we accidentally walked to the Square, knowing that we should avoid it, but it was peaceful then. Though there were many tents set up, nothing much seemed to be happening. The Square is blocked, so no cars can come, but you can walk on it, but still, just be careful :)

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Tahrir Square and Down Town Cairo

I'm copying this from another posting I made in regards to keeping updated on what's going on around Cairo and other areas of Egypt, check out this:

"If you have a facebook account, look up "egyptian streets" for updates on what is going on in Cairo and elsewhere in Egypt.

Posted today, an apartment building was set on fire and 3 police vans destoryed in Dokki Cairo. 2 police vans outside a police station in Giza was also set on fire. There is also a video on the site where there is many incidents where thugs are stopping cars in Cairo and demanding payment, including a bus.. the bus driver refused to pay and so the thugs smashed out the windows.

Port Said is seeing violence , protests, injuries and deaths almost on a daily basis recently. Fortunately we are not going anywhere near there.

Anyway, if you want to keep updated, you can check there. The updater of the site did say that even though my hotel is only a few blocks from Tahrir square, we *should* be ok. "

I'm still looking forward to our trip in less than 3 weeks, but I am obviously a bit anxious, especially given we are travelling with our 3 youngest kids. Will leave a trip report when we get back.