We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What else to do in Cairo

Sydney
Level Contributor
275 posts
74 reviews
What else to do in Cairo

Dear travel gurus,

thanks for any help you can offer.

I will have 2 spare days in Cairo in November and would like to know what else I could do on those days please and why it would be worthwhile doing those things?

My current tour itinerary for the 3 other days that I will be in Cairo for before heading off to other parts of Egypt are as follows:

Day 1. Visit Sakkara to see the step pyramid of Zosser, then visit the great Pyramids - Cheops, Chephren & Mykerions. Close-up look at Sphinx with the face of king Chephren.

Day 2. Visit Egyptian Museum then proceed to the old city of Cairo to visit the Hanging church, then proceed to visit the citadel of Saladin and Mohamed Ali mosque in the late afternoon visit to the famous Khan El Khalili market.

Day 3. Visit Alexandria.

So is there anything else worthwhile doing? It would be good to get ideas on what to experience with present day culture and not just tourist stuff on its own.

thanks heaps again for any advice!!

Australia
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: What else to do in Cairo

It is hard to advise you without knowing what interests you. Are you interested in history, culture, architecture ? or are you more into chilling out and relaxing for those two days? here are a couple of things I did in October that I really enjoyed.

1/ The Sufi or whirling dervish show, it's on Mon, Wed & Sat nights, & it's FREE. It is at the Wikela el-Ghouri near Al Azhar mosque, you have to line up early about 7pm to make sure you get in, it goes for approx an hour & a half. After the show is over, you can cross over the bridge to Hussein Square for a coffee in one of the coffee shops and a wander around the Khan at night, it is quite safe.

2/ A visit to Al Azhar park, it was once a rubbish dump but it is now a beautiful landscaped park, many Egyptian families go there, there are a number of restaurants and amazing views.

Let us know a bit more about yourself and others may advise their favourite things.

Sydney
Level Contributor
275 posts
74 reviews
2. Re: What else to do in Cairo

Thank you for the suggestions so far. The tour we will be taking will take us to many architectural and tourist wonders with lots of history and ancient cultural insights and will be fairly hectic . Therefore it will be like us being outside of a bubble looking in. I would like to do interesting things that allows us to rub shoulders with locals without it being highly touristy.

For example I discovered when in China that they like to practice exercising in parks by doing ball room type dancing, that they juggled balls and sang as a community in those parks. What I am trying to say is that I would like to experience every day locals "doing there thing" that would be interesting to a foreigner.

3. Re: What else to do in Cairo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 13, 2011