We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camel photos at pyramids

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
513 posts
252 reviews
Camel photos at pyramids

Recognizing that trying to get one's photo taken on a camel at the pyramids is fraught with all kinds of potential "experiences," I'd like to be prepared. Is there any gesture one can give a camel while seated upon it to make it stop? sit down for dismounting? (a tap on the shoulders?? )

Is there a word the camel drivers use to tell the camel to "stop"?

I don't feature having to bargain with the camel driver just to get off the camel (and I'm not sure how wise it would be to try to jump off). But I would like the once-in-a-lifetime photo of being seated upon a camel with the pyramids in the background.

Australia
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Camel photos at pyramids

I would not recommend jumping off;) & they are stubborn animals, the handlers often have trouble getting them to do what they want. Yes there are all types of scams to fleece you of some money, saying the price was per person not for the group, or the price quoted was one way not two ways, or in US/GBP not Egyptian etc......

Agree on a price first and stick to it, have that money in a separate pocket and all other money somewhere else, say it is all you have and get another tourist or your companion to take your photo. If they won't let you off, threaten the tourist police in a loud voice, it works. I would offer 20LE just for photo no ride if it means that much to you, someone will take it.

2. Re: Camel photos at pyramids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 09, 2011