We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is polite?

Canberra
13 posts
Save Topic
What is polite?

We are Australians travelling to Egypt for the first time. A young work mate of my wife has given us the phone number of her aunt who lives in Garden city. I said that I would contact this lady but am now worried about what is appropriate, eg should we meet her at restaurant, at bazaar, etc. If she says "come to my home" is that just being polite? Should we bring a gift? and what sort, etc?

Any advice from locals greatly appreciated.

Cairo - Egypt
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What is polite?

Well, if she invites you to her place then she means it. She might as well be preparing for a decent Egyptian feast for you!

Let her lead the way. If she insists you go to her place, a gift would be highly recommended, but not a must. As an Egyptian, I would certainly offer a gift. But being a non-Egyptian, you can say it's your first time and you didn't know!! LOL

Bring a nice painting of Sydney Opera House(hope her relative hasn't already supplied her with dozens of those!), or anything nice but not necessarily expensive.

Nice time in Cairo.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is polite?

As King Tut said, see where the conversation will lead you... obviously you will be calling her to communicate her relative's regards etc... then if she sound enthusiastic / interested in the call, you could offer to invite her for a cup of team at your hotel or a nearby coffeshop. By that time:

a) she would have agreed to come over

b) the conversation would just end without explicitly inviting you over

c) you are invited.

I believe a lot will have to do with the age of the aunt, how close she is to her relative in Australia and her mastery of the English language.

If the invitiation is for a cup of coffee or tea, then there is no need for a gift (even though a small souvenir if available would be nice), if it is for lunch or dinner you need to go out of your way with a fancy box of chocolate or something.

Canberra
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What is polite?

Thanks King-Tut and Sherif you have put my mind at rest. There is nothing like on-the-spot advice! Keep it up!

Cairo - Egypt
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What is polite?

Thanks, Aussie :-)

5. Re: What is polite?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:36 pm, January 14, 2006